70-210 F4 Series E vs. 75-150 F3.5 Series E

r.t. dowling

If you had to choose between these two lenses, they were both in the

same condition and were the same price, which would you pick?

Basically I'd like to know which one is the sharpest, has best

contrast, etc. I realize that the 70-210 has a longer zoom and the

75-150 is slightly faster. Aside from those differences, which lens

is the best of the two?

IMO the decision should primarily be based on which focal length range meets your needs better. In this case, do you need to use it at 200mm often? Both of these were fine lenses in their days and should still be good today although zoom lenses have improved quite a bit in general from 20 years ago.

I have both lenses, and for me the 75-150mm lens is used very much more often. The basic reasons are the size and weight of the smaller lens. The main reason however is that in terms of prime lenses, I use my 105mm f/2.5 most often in this focal length range, and the 75-150mm is a lens that offers me some framing vaiations around this focal length... just a bit wider and tighter. I never miss the focal lengths that come after 150mm, but these might be important to you.<div>006kM5-15645884.JPG.9defae89a33c21f2857b56576ec9e625.JPG</div>

It's a toss-up but my vote goes to the 75-150. It's probably the sharper lens, but it's also smaller, lighter, slightly faster and uses 52mm filters instead of 62mm. Compared to the Tamron and others... well, no comparison at all. The 75-150 will kill 'em. And for those last 50mm, zoom with your feet because 200mm really isn't very much longer. Think how often you shoot at 200. I have 3 zooms in that general 70-200 range, plus the 75-150, and whenever I'm at 200 it seems I really want 300. Like a 28 is never wide enough, 200 is rarely long enough. If 200's OK for you, why not consider the Nikkor 80-200 4.0 or 4.5 AI lenses too? I'd still choose the 75-150.

• 2 months later...