EOS3 - Loss of Caps

andrei_lau1

I have been keeping on lossing the 2 tiny caps covering the remote

control socket cover and the PC terminal cover. I would say it is a

big design fault from Canon that EOS 1v's hinge cover is much much

better. It's just too easy to go off by itself! Do you have any

means to keep them in place without resorting to using adhesive

tape?

I don't know what the area on the EOS3 looks like, but I was thinking that you could use self adhesive velcro and cut out a piece big enough to cover the caps and the surrounding area and then use the other half of the velcro to hold the caps in place, or remove the velcro to use those ports. You can get the velcro in black so it shouldnt look to bad, or at least better than tape :)

Mine are tight as I never use the PC socket and only occasionally use the remote. However, I've noticed the remote socket gets looser the more you remove it (plastics stretch). Why not buy a bunch of spares and replace them as they stretch and fall off? If you're not into jungle and beach shooting you could go commando and leave your ports wide open.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I lost few already and then I just stoped bothering about it. Take some glue tape and put it over. It works fine for me even when it's raining. Camera doesn't look so nice with silver tape glued over those two holes but it does job fine. So who cares if it looks nice or not. And besides... when you walk around with 400/2.8 people notice something else then that tape :)

I got it directly from Canon service centre that it costs about $10 for the two. The problem is that they are not always in stock. I understand that it won't affect the functioning of the camera , but I still worry about dirt accumulate on the socket that may eventually disable the remote control in particular as the pin is really delicate. Also, without the cap I feel a little bit uneasy. At the end I may use cello tap to keep them in place if there is no other better means.

dont worrie about them unless u are planing on getting mud in there. i go to brooks institute and i have had no caps on there for about a year now (i also use bolth those ports alot). with no caps my camera has survived rain beach rock climbing and wave splashes with no problums. when i shoot dirt biking i try to rember to put gaffers tape over the holes but it dosent happen all the time. if u really want them coverd use black gaffers tape you can barely see it.