Bishop for a few days. I've never been there, any suggestions for

photography this time of year? is there snow everywhere? if i go,

the only place i know ill definetely check out so far is the

Mountain Light Gallery and maybe the other galleries in town if i

have time. virginia city is a possibility too. nortehrn oregon is

my other possibility.

i live in the bay area, but id be coming back up from southern

california when i go. thank you

No offence, but you will need to be a lot more than just "fit" to get to the top of Whitney in March(!).

<br><br>

Not sure how northern Oregon and the Eastern Sierra are interchangeable (did you mean southern Oregon?)<br>

I would recommend heading east and spending some time in Death Valley. This is one of the best times to visit.<br>

<br>

Guy

I would definitely suggest the Alabama Hills and Mono Lake. If you have the time, Death

Valley should be great this coming week. After the recent rains the desert should start

blooming soon.

Bishop is snow free. You'll find snow in the upper elevations in the Sierras. Most of the

major passes are closed going over the Sierras though, so you'll have to go across at Reno.

In winter most of the roads going into the Sierra from 395 will be closed. On the eastern sierra the sunrise alpenglow is amazing. Popular locations are Mt. Whitney from Alabama hills, Wheeler Crest near Bishop and Dana from Mono lake area. Sue Irwin has a great book called California's Eastern Sierra which could be useful. You can find it in the public library. As it has been suggested, this is a good time to go to Death Valley. According to California wildflower hotsheet the wildflowers in Death Valley are pretty nice right now.

http://www.calphoto.com/wflower.htm

I'd expect that once you begin to climb out of the Owens Valley in any direction, you'll quickly run into snow. Much more on the Sierra side. But unless there are storms going on, you probably won't be impacted too much by it. the forecasts seem remarkably pleasant. I'd suggest you take chains and some food, water and blankets or a sleeping bag for use if you get stranded anyways.

Mammoth Mountain is advertising 13-15 feet of snow with over 400" of snow fall this season (not that a ski resort might not exaggerate a little). http://www.mammoth-mtn.com/

So there may well be roads plowed to roadheads for recreational activites, snowplay, xc skiing, etc. but getting beyond there is going to be difficult if you aren't snow mobile. I'd suggest searching some of the communities like Bridgeport, Lee Vining, and Carson City or the USFS to see what's current. Weather doesn't sound like it's going to be bad. But you'll need to loop down from the area around Tahoe and Donner or go south through Bakersfield and east and then back north again. Either direction or a loop should offer stunning photo opportunities.

Having been to the Bishop area twice in the past couple of months, I can

confirm a major snowpack in the Sierra's. Mt. Whitney and other areas with

access from side roads off 395 into the mountains are closed due to snow.

The Bishop creek road up into the Sabrina Basin is also closed for the winter.

The Alabama Hills (off the Whitney Portal access road in Lone Pine) are snow

free and very photogenic in the mornings with the snow covered mountains

as back-drop to the West.

Since you are coming from So. Cal I would strongly suggest spending a day

or so in Death Valley since it is only a 4-5 hour drive away. Take highway 5 to

14 to 395 North just like going to Bishop, but turn off on highway 190 at

Olancha, or continue 30 miles North to Lone Pine and the Alabama hills, and

then head down the East side of Owens lake back down to highway 190 and

into Death Valley over Townes Pass. From LA it is around 300 miles to Death

Valley. I missed the wildflower bloom two weeks ago, but due to recent rains,

it is looking very promising for lots of flower blooms in mid March in Death

Valley.

After exploring DV for a couple of days (or weeks) you can head north through

Bishop, making the return journey via the long drive along the Eastern Sierra

to return to the Bay area via Tahoe, or head back South and return via the

Tehachapi Pass (rt 58) or via my personal choice, the Walker Pass (rt 178)

through some nice Joshua tree groves. Have fun!

Carry chains on 395 north of Bishop! It is still winter up there.

Whatever you do, just don't call it "the Sierras". Sierra is already plural.

If you go to Mountain Light, make sure you cross the street to the NW corner of Main and Line and enter Claude Fiddler's gallery. I can't disparage the work of Galen Rowell, but Fiddler's prints (from 4x5 originals) smoke on Rowell's.

I'd also recommend traveling east on Line St. to Las Palmas Mexican restaraunt for some lunch or dinner. Don't look for any palm trees because there aren't any. The food and chips are great and the salsa bar rocks. You can find salsa hot enough there to smoke both Rowell's and Fiddler's prints.

thank you all for the words of wisdom. if im there, ill definetely check out Claude Fiddler's gallery too. I emailed him once a while back about one of his images and he was thankful for me asking. that was cool. ill let you all know what i did or didn't do when i get back. thanks again.

Also, check out Vern Clevenger's gallery in Bishop.

The views from the White Mountains looking toward the Sierra is amazing. Just drive up highway 168 out of Big Pine. You may also be able to get out to the Bristlecone pine forests up there( I was there in January, and the road was still closed), as the snow melts out quick..