can't seem to find any images on internet searches. I know that it's

kind of a small place, but supposedly a really good photo op. Anyone

have any information/photos?

Also given the fact that it's winter and Arches/Canyonlands will be

too far & probably closed, would Pink Sand Dunes, Red Rock, Valley of

Fire be the only alternative locations? We have 3 days to work the

area. I know that Bryce is a possibility but extremely weather

dependent and roads could be closed.

We did Death Valley last time. Thanks for any suggestions.

I was just in the area and hoped to get over to Snow Canyon, but didn't. Before I left, I did do a Yahoo search for Utah State Parks and ended up with some info and a couple of photos. Try that.

Arches and Canyonlands might be far with only 3 days, but they will NOT be closed. Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is a cool place (rather small), but they do allow dune buggies on the dunes, so try to go mid-week, or during/after a windy period that'll erode their tracks. Bryce can be extraordinary in the winter. A friend of mine snagged some unbelievable winter shots last January before we hooked up in Zion for a few days. You could also check out Capitol Reef or Goblin Valley. I've heard good things about Valley of Fire, which would be fairly close to Vegas, but haven't been there myself.

Then again, with only three days, why not stay in/near Zion? If you go there, you should check out the Kolob Canyon section north of St. George on I-15. It's a great sunset location.<div>0018kj-1850184.jpg.8c6100e901a6f91f43c3a7e89ac51073.jpg</div>

I was a Snow Canyon a few months ago. itis an easy place to photograph. A pretty location, get above it and take some shots down the canyon. there are lots of other places accessable after the convention. YOu are not far from viewing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon via some interesting roads (dirt/rock/4x4 roads and better. Lots if interesting locations. Some areas of the North Rim are showing regrowth after the fires.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dotty:

Snow Canyon is a gorgeous little state park just outside of St George Utah. St G is just about an hour and half north of Las Vegas on I15. To get there, get off of I15 at the Bluff St exit. Follow Bluff St through town (NW) and it is/becomes State Rt 18. I think its no more than 5 miles out of town. There will be a not-too-well marked turn off to your left as youre headed north that is an overlook to the canyon. Shortly beyond that is a left turn that goes down through the canyon. Is a nice combination of lava fields, red rock and white rock. Well worth a trip, in my opinion, if youre near the area.

Zion is about 45 min from St G and Bryce is about 2 hours from Zion. Snow is more likely at Bryce than at Zion. If you choose to go to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. and youre going to Zion, likely is that you'll want to drive thru Zion and take east park road to Hwy 89 and head south to turnoff for Coral Pink. Its 10-12 miles off of Hwy 89.

There is an un publicisized "western rim" of the Grand Canyon on Indian lands which I understand is quite nice, but havent visited myself. Wayne at Casey's Camera in LV can give you directions to it.

Good luck and have an enjoyable trip. Wish I was still there.

Bob Tescione

mogman@rpa.net