Tokina 50-250mm ATX

dean_tyler

You might also want to consider the Tamron SP 60-300mm/3.8-5.4. It is a little bit bigger than the Tokina and Zuiko lenses (870g, 68x166mm). Min. focus 1.9m plus a macro mode down to 0.34m giving a 1:1.5 macro range. I am very satisfied with this lens (I have the Novoflex/Tamron fast-focus version). Going rates are around $75 used in Ex+ conditions, i.e., similar to the Tokina but due to the Adaptall-2 mount much easier to find.

This Tamron 60-300/3.8-5.4 also has an amazing optical structure of: 15 elements in 11 groups! Because of it, at 300mm even wide open (f/5.4), the sharpness in the center is incredible high, and this allows you to shoot wildlife and macros handheld. Macro ratio of 1:1.5 is also wonderful. And something more: it has a beautifully soft bukeh.

Still, to be the perfect long zoom, should have come with a tripod socket too, and it doesn't: the only failure of this optical artwork.

I have this lens. I bought it new in january 1984 with my Contax kit because it had 55mm filter size like most of my other equipment. It was kind of a revolutionary zoom at the time, maybe the first powerfull (5x) and good quality lens.

Pros: wide range (5x), very good quality, normal size filter, not too heavy (750gr) and great macro capabilities (1:1.4). Yes, not 1:4 but 1:1.4, you fill the frame with 5cm (2 inches)!

Cons: not a constant aperture zoom (F4-5.6 and macro F6.7), not fast enough to hand held without fast films.

It was my only tele for a while and i did great macro shots with TTL flash but i needed a faster one, so i got a 135mm F2.8. Finally, i also bought a F4.0 constant 80-200mm as hand held zoom. But the Tokina is just great on a tripod and is still my favorite lens for cities night shots.

Tamron launched a very similar one shortly after. It was a 60-300mm F3.8-5.4 with macro 1:1.5. But it takes 62mm filters and is heavier. I bought one for a friend but with the probably rare optional tripod collar that makes it more balanced. This one is not to hand held comfortely but goes to 300mm instead of 250mm.

I prefer the Tokina. It is rarer on the used market but sell for much less. I recommand it if you don't need a fast lens. Anyway, you could get both that lens and a 135mm F2.8 (or 200mm F3.5) for little $ these days.