CLA Estimates

charlesk

I've heard a lot about Kinderman and their repair services.

I asked them how much it would be to clean the haze off two LTM

lenses (no cement problems.)

They said they couldn't give an estimate on the phone and would have

to see the lenses.

So, I mailed them the lenses (col. Cron and S-rit.)

They wrote today to say a simple cleaning would be $150 apiece.

I find this to be an astronomical price for a rather straightforward

job.

I'd be interested in your opinions.

If you do not like the price take them back and send them elsewhere. Kindermann

does not charge for estimates. The shipping costs will begin to mount after a while

though. I cannot recommend Gerry highly enough. He is one of the best (the best in

my book) and I never send my Leica work anywhere else.

Is Kindermann the place to go in Canada? I'm in Ottawa; is there anybody local? I've just bought an M2 that needs adjustment at least. It's my Christmas present, and I'd like to actually take some pictures with it by then. (The shutter doesn't close all the way on speeds lower than 500. I think it may have been stored with the shutter cocked for a long time.)

Essex in New Jersey ran $70 to $90 to clean each of my lenses; a 50mm Summicron, 135 Hektor, and Summarit. The Summarit had a badly damaged filter ring that was repaired. The Hektor and Summarit were fogged over internally. The Summicron aperture was stiff and uneven. All came back clean, coatings undamaged, and operationally smooth.

I have posted these Hello Kitty "MTF" shots taken with the Summarit at closest focus at F1.5 before. If you have not seen them, here they are again:

Summarit Before CLA:

http://www.photo.net/photo/1864928&size=lg

Summarit After CLA.

http://www.photo.net/photo/1864926&size=lg

And the Summarit Peacock... shot through a zoo fence, note blur on left.

http://www.photo.net/photo/1862136&size=lg

I have to second Brian's recommendation to use Essex Camera Service. I just last week had them do 2 Olympus Zuikos. The first one- a 55mm f/1.2 had lots of fungus along with the normal dust and haze. Cost $50 to clean. The other, an 85/2, had the dust/haze, no fungus, but a jammed aperture ring which caused some diaphram damage. They called this a "rebuild". Cost for that one was $70. Little if anything was done to the exterior cosmetics of the lens body, I don't know if an exterior clean is available, but the glass and mechanics couldn't have come out better. They qouted me a one week turnaround, but called me that they were ready after only 3 days. I have been there before, and these of course are not Leitz glass, which are possible reasons for the great (IMO) prices.

Gerry's response included the following:

<br><i><b>Disassemble</b>, wash, clean and re-lube focusing mount and aperture mechanism</i>

<br>Perhaps, this is the difference?

<br>That these $70 CLAs do not include

a complete disassembly of the focusing assembly and diaphragm?

Well, My $50 CLA and my $70 re-build DID include service to the focusing and aperture mechanisms, because they both were in need of cleaning and/or service, and now they're as smooth (mechanically speaking) as the proverbial baby's behind. I thought I made that clear. But, this was with Olympus lenses. I also think that there aren't too many good deals once most repairmen see that you walked in with Leica gear. Their brains must be thinking: "Cha-CHING!" (American slang denoting a cash register ringing).

They'll probably point out that a tune-up for a Lexus costs more than the same done to a VW.

> Disassemble, wash, clean and re-lube focusing mount and aperture mechanism

Yes, Essex did all of that for me. I looked at receipts: The repair of

the M3 including Dragging shutter, faint and misaligned RF, foggy VF,

vulcanite repair+ 2)Internal haze/ binding focus on the 135 F4.5 Hektor + 3) Hard-to-move aperture and Focus on the Summicron ran a total of $358 which included return shipping. The M3 finder is crystal clear and the RF patch looks like an illuminated overlay. The lenses are also clear, coatings undamaged (50's vintage lenses), focus smoothly, and change aperture easily. The Summarit ran $98 with return shipping. It was very hazy and is now crystal clear. I have used Essex for over 15 years now.

Thankyou for the detailed responses.

<br>I will send these lenses to Essex Camera.

<br>Kinderman's prices are just way out of line and I doubt I will ever use them

for any type of repairwork in the future.

<br>You are right: people hear the word "Leica" and they just assume

you're going to give them a blank check and not ask any questions.

<br>Kinderman steadfastly refused to give me any sort of "ballpark" figure

on cleaning these lenses.

<br>Even after I asked, "all things being normal, no broken parts and ONLY

a light fog to the elements' external surface", they still insisted

I send them the cameras.

<br>I even asked "over $100?" and they still would not give me a response.

<br>Once they GOT the lenses, it was obvious that their "standard" charge

for this work is $150.

<br>Why couldn't they have told me that in the first place?

<br>Did they just want to get the lenses in-hand before hitting me

<br>with this enormous repair estimate?

Yes. Essex will ask you the brand and maybe the focal length when you call them on the phone. Both logical questions. They will then give you a "ballpark" figure which will be the actual price they will charge you if there are no "surprises" when they actually get to inspect the lenses. They also suggest you send them the item and they will look it over and call you before they do any work.