Before buying a new F 100

rombon

I own a Nikon F4s that has seen a lot of punishing during a seven

years of semipro nature and home photography use. The camera is not

in perfect working condition: autofocus is sluggish and is not

accurate, bottom battery pack is stuck and camera needs CLA. So I

have to choose between two options, to have F 4 serviced which will

not be cheap or to replace it with a new F 100.

I know all about performances of F 100 on paper, but I don't know, is

there a big difference in sturdiness and "feeling"? I am asking the

photographers who had F 4 and now work with F 100 it they miss

anything beside MLU.

The F100 has excellent "feel", and it's lighter and smaller, which is (usually) a good thing. It doesn't have as good a focusing screen nor quite as precise spot meter as the F4, but the autofocus is far superior to the F4's.

I think it's a shame that the focusing screens have gone steadily down since the F4 but what can you do. Try the F100 out, I bet you'll love it.

I've never seen much "value" in the F100 (I admit I never owned it but I've handled it) so let me point you to people who don't find this camera all that great:

<P>

<a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f100.htm">F100 review, observations recommendations and tricks</a><br>

<a href="http://www.owlseyenaturephotos.com/nikon_f100.htm">A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP</a><br>

<a href="http://www.camerahobby.com/Review-F100.htm">Camera Hobby - Nikon F100 and MB15 Review</a><br>

<P>I never ended up buying the F100 because these did not sound good. If you put your camera through a lot of use, perhaps you will be better served by a mint-used F5?

Arnab, the value of the F100 is that it's the only Nikon film camera in production that has good autofocus and does not weigh like a brick. The (many) minor QC issues of the F100 should not be a problem if you buy it new.

If you need the F5, you buy the F5. I just can't see myself carrying two F5's in the field, along with 5-6 lenses and a 3-4 kg tripod.

I disagree. The quality control issues persist. I bought one in the spring this year (it was new) and the meter selector switch did not work reliably and stopped working alltogether a bit later. I got it fixed and the camera is fine now.

Also, I noticed an issue with a significant focus difference between the AF sensor and the focusing screen near infinity with a 180/2.8 last week. I did not make notes so I'm not sure which was correct. I need to have this issue checked as well.

Still, it is an excellent camera per pound. I do not regret a second I bought it.

I have one F100 body that has become unglued in the department of leather-like covering: Nikon USA offered to re-adhesive tape the thing together for $150+ (part of a service and CLA) -- black duct tape keeps it looking like a 3d world wonder (no one will ever steal it!)

The camera does work, duct tape and all.

I have no experience with the F4 but have had a F100 for 2 years.I often use it to photograph sporting events at the local school for which it is the ideal tool.It did however fail a few months after I bought it along with two lenses.As protection against a possible weak spot I purchased a spare back on ebay.I sometimes carry mine in a Lowe Pro top load bag & the meter selection lever can move due to friction between camera & bag.No doubt,as has been suggested, the F5 would be a superior camera if you wish to carry the weight. FWIW I noticed a used F100 for sale at the local camera store.I asked if someone else had moved to digital? The salesman replied 'no' he bought an F5.

I think it is highly unfair to selectively pick a few links to reviews that don't like the F100. That simply provides a distorted view, and one could have done that on just about any popular camera. There are also lots and lots of very favorable reviews on the F100. As of two years ago, the F100 was the best selling SLR from Nikon, which says a lot. I mentioned two years ago only because I don't have any updated data. Given that the N80/F80 is at deep discount now, it might be selling very well and photography is also moving to digital today.

If you want a high-quality film SLR, I can recommend the F100 with no reservation. As I have mentioned many times before, the lack of MLU is a non-issue IMO. However, its controls are very similar to those on the F5 and are drastically different from those on the F4. I happen to prefer the controls on the F5/F100 and I don't feel like using an F4 any more. However, if you prefer the traditional controls on the F4, you might not like the F100; that is simply a very personal preference.

As I mentioned in another thread, expect a lot of people shifting to DSLR in the next couple of years as the prices come way down. Unless you are sure that you are committed to film, it is kind of late in the game to buy an F100. Prices are lower now, but resale value of this class of SLRs such as the N90s has crashed in the last year or two. This trend will only accelerate when more people dump their F5, F100, N90s, etc. to switch to digital.

I think the F100 (and other high-end film bodies) continues to have value beyond that of today's consumer dSLRs.

I spent this weekend playing around with my friend's D100 and making prints of the files. First of all, I find it next to impossible to focus the thing. I tried to take available light pictures of my friend's daughter in tungsten light, and I couldn't focus my 50/1.4 manually better than (say) 10 cm, nor did the AF work well in the dark. The viewfinder image is tiny, and the focusing screen has almost no contrast (in focus/out of focus). That's pathetic - the F100 is totally in another class as a camera, whatever you may think about shooting film. And it's cheaper, too. If buying a dSLR, I would wait until they stop marketing such toys. I am sure that after 1-2 years, the resale value of the F100 will exceed that of the D100.

Sorry Ilkka, I think you somehow just have to keep on coming up with reasons to reject the D100. My last 4 Nikon bodies are the F4, F5, F100 and D100, so I have had some of the top Nikon film bodies from the last 15 years and I have had the D100 for over a year. The D100 is certainly not as well built as the F5 or F100 and its AF is slower, but all in all it is sufficient for most applications.

The F100 may turn out to be the last great film body from Nikon. If you are still committed to film, it is time to take advantage of the rebates and the depressed used market while a lot of people are moving onto digital.

If you are looking for an F4s, I have two for sale! Not to take away from the argument, but if you are a heavy user, then you should get an F5. The F100 is targeted at amateurs/light-users, not professionals. What type of lenses do you have? I read somewhere (it was Grumpy's railroad website) that you can't focus manual focus lenses on an F5 by eye, something to do with the viewfinder design. I don't know if it's true, but it was a cause for concern. You could of course use the rangefinder, but those of us who prefer to do things manually might be better off with the more proven technology. Of course, if you have AF-S lenses, then you should get an F5.

Thank you all for answers. F5 is not an option for me. It's too heavy. And it's too late to invest so much money in a film camera.

To Paul: I had a F3HP for a couple of years, sold it and bought my F4s. F3 is sturdy camera but I didn't like it much for its three shortcomings: almost no flash system, no spot metering and no analog meter indication measured in thirds of F stop. As a mainly landscape photographer I work mainly in manual mode using spot meter to analyze the brightness across the whole picture so I really need spot metering and analog display.

To Christopher and Vishal: I was considering buying used F4s but I would really appreciate better autofocus. My eyes are not so good as they used to be (even for the landscape) and my son is really very quick. Beside that, due to small market in Slovenia it is hard to find mint F4. I don't want buy it on Internet because I want to examine it first. Most of my lenses are AF-D. The only AIS lens that I use regularly is 24/2.8.

I was in dilemma to buy F100 or D100 but I decided to stay with film for a while. D 100 is not sturdy enough for me and I don't have money for extra wide zoom, microdrive and laptop. Beside that I need slides for presentations. Digital projectors are still a joke (a very expensive one). So I guess I will take a chance and see if QC person was in a good mood on a particular day when my F100 was produced.

Shun, I <I>am</I> trying to like the D100. I would not have spent hours testing it if I didn't. I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt and I will continue testing it until I get good results. <p> I did get good results from it in available light city scenes. But I think the colours could be more vivid and less Provia-like (green shadows). I don't like to mess in Photoshop to find pleasing colours, it's too hard. I like the way E100GX and Astia 100F render colours, and would prefer not to reinvent the wheel in digital. Lots of people prefer the 10D due to this reason.

Marko: I have an F4 and F100 (as well as an S2 and D1). I hardly use the F4 now - the F100 is a dream machine - simply the best camera feel available. The size, weight and speed are fantastic - the metering damn good - focus outstanding - a true work of beauty.

I have been shooting digital mostly lately, and when I grab the F100 I am shocked on how good it is - I switch back for awhile. When I go back to the F4 I notice how slow it focuses, but it is also a true work horse. Spend your money on an F100 - you will be jumping 15 years ahead in technology. The S2, N80 based, is a piece of sh.. when it comes to focus and speed. (The D1, my digital choice - is also rather awesome). So, I find the F100 and D1 a true joy to work with - I will be getting something with a bigger sensor, maybe a D3x (when it comes out - I think I will skip a generation).

Oh, the camera is very sturdy.

Miguel

Again, the camera rocks.

I had the F4, changed to the F100 and now use the F5. There are fors and againsts and only you can really decide. F100 is good with better af area selection than F5. "Silent" film wind on F100 is'nt silent! Theres' no difference. F5 is the same as F4 in this respect... it's silent. F5 and F4 more rugged. I could go on but I would'nt throw money at an old battered F4 when both the F100 and F5 are still better.