difference in hassy focusing screens(?)

hlwimmer

can someone explain the difference between that many screens for the hasselblad and which screen can standard

on which model, specifically:

what is the standard screen for the new 503CW?

which screen has the grid lines and the split circle (prism?)?

is there an online reference?

thanks//hlw

Standard focusing screen for 503CW is art. 42204 (Acute Matte D)without split image or microprism device.

The n. 42217 focusing screen has grid lines (useful for architercural photography and to pre-view rectangular shape of image) with split image device.

The n. 42215 focusing screen has split image PLUS microprism devices, but no grids.

The n. 42207 is matte but with a central circle of 12 mm. that is spot area with metered prismatic view-finders PME90 and PME45.

Other focusing screen are similar to these but with central references for internal exposure meters of models 200 (203FE and 205FCC).

The numbers of this items are from an european catalogue, but i hope are the same in USA too.

<p>The numbers Luciano gives for the Acute-Matte D screens seem to be universal.</p>

<p>A follow-up question: Does anybody know which lenses work well with the microprism and split-image rangefinder screens? Screens of these types typically work well only with a limited range of focal lengths and/or apertures.</p>

<p>It would be wonderful if Hasselblad saw fit to add information about focussing screens to their web site!</p>

michael: right you are (about hassy's website). the site, although beautiful, does nothing to educate the potential consumer about the camera or system beyond a slight overview. moreover, some of the information is a dead-end...for instance, try finding information on the PME-51 (it isn't there).

if anyone knows of another URL for fan-sites that have good contact, please post them. it seems like the users are the future farmers in this arena.

i've a few responses about the acumatte screen. a few questions remain:

folks mention a accumatte and and accute matte acreen. the same or different?

and how does a microprism differ form a split screen (or does it)?

ohhh, the confusion...(hlw)

I have the n. 42217 Acute Matte D screen (with grids and split image device): it works very well with my 180 Sonnar and, of course, with all other shorter lenses. I haven't lens longer than 180, but I try to use my 180 with a kenko duplicator, so I have a 360mm f8: in this way you have serious difficolties using this screen. You must have your eye always right straight to the split image device, otherwise it become dark and impossible to used.

So I think you can use this screen surely till 180 lenght lens, and probably till 250mm f5.6. For longer or darker lenses it is better the regular matte screen. I haven't experience with microprism device.

"Acute Matte" is the only correct term: I think other words are simply mistakes. Acute Matte is a trade mark of Minolta: these screens are designed for Hasselblad by Minolta, and I think they are Japan made (as the D-flash 40 is designed by Sunpack, the FE 60-120 zoom lens and X-pan lenses are all made by Tomyoka Optical Co. and X-pan body that is the Hasselblad version of a Fuji camera).

Split image finders are great for ANY focal length. They however do not work at less than f4. A possible alternative is the Beattie Intenscreens. They have several patterns and options. They are not as bright or sharp as Acute Matte, far cheaper. My favorite was the Brite Matte which preceeded Acute Matte. Not as bright as Acute Matte but higher contrast and more even illumination made focusing easier, particularly in Macro work.