Need info on a Berlebach tripod

_ukasz_kacperczyk

Hi there,

It's my first post here, so be gentle :-)

My question is as follows: is a Berlebach tripod (don't know which

model) that weights about 2.8 kg, and measures 156 cm (extended) or

76 cm (folded) capable of holding a 7 kg camera (a 13x18 Mentor

large format)? Any ideas? I can't see it "in action" as the tripod

is in another town.

TIA.

Regards,

£ukasz

Hello Lukasz,

please have a look at www.berlebach.de (English page as well). If the legs are with one extension only, I would say yes. With two extensions you should try it.

Given your measurements - non of the models fits, so I can't figure out, which one you are talking about.

Regards

Robert

Robert, I've checked the Berlebach website, but the one I'm talking about isn't there - it's not a current model. The legs can be extended two times. I've looked at the models they have on their website, and from their parameters I guess one could safely bet that it (the one I'm taliking about) will be adequate for my purposes. BUT - the video tripods featured on the Berlebach website have a max load of 5 kg, so I can not be sure :-( Unfortunately, I have no way of trying the tripod before buying. Anyway, thanks for the answers.

That sounds strange, Vince...IMHO the quality of the Berlebach tripods is unquestionable: I have a Report 9043 (I bought it two years ago)that I brought all over the world and after all that travelling and backpacking the tripod is like new, not a single problem, never, it's still solid and stable like a rock...

Vince: I recently purchased the 3032, and couldn't be happier. Where did you find fault with yours?

Lukasz: I can't speak for your model, but it sounds like you're talking about the 9033: 77cm folded, 154cm extended, weighs 2.9kg and supports 8kg. I don't know if will work, but there's plenty of people using the 8023 (69cm, 176cm, 2.8kg, 10kg) for 8x10 cameras.

This tripod looks exactly like one I own which was sold under the Bromwell brand name about 20 years ago. It works well but it is not the smoothest oerating piece of equipment I own. The knobs require an indeterminate number of tuns to loosen or tighten legs. From the position shown in the photo one can only shorten the lower legs to go a few inches shorter because of the 'hollow' in the upper legs.

A bogen 3021 is much more convenient and faster to work with but only half as pretty.

this is a very old version of Berlebach tripods. I have no experience with them, but the fundamental design has not changed so much. Therefore I think you can use the data of a current equivalent type as a reference. From my experience with two recent Berlebach tripods (I use a 9013 for 35mm and a 8043 without additional head for 4x5") the maximum loads given by Berlebach are quite conservative, so I don't expect any problem with your tripod and a 7kg camera. But maybe you should exchange the head to a more stable version? Not sure, but the head on your photo looks rather weak...

• 11 years later...