is your leica M the last film camera you'd keep??

Yes. M6 Classic from Eric Kragtwijk here (which has served me very well and generated many good pics for me) will eventually be passed down to my first-born, probably pick up an M2-R and/or M3 later on for pure retro/novelty/fondling value. Then the old two-and-a-quarter (old 'flex). That about wraps it.

I've been culling for several years. I got rid of my Leicaflex/R stuff with 24 to 180mm lenses plus two (full frame and circular) third party fisheyes. I sold l of my 2 Rolleiflexes and and a Minolta Autocord. I sold my 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Galvin view camera and Century Graphic with lenses from a 47/5.6 Super Angulon to a 180/4.5 Rodenstock Rotelar. Now I have 4 M bodies and a CL, a Visoflex IIs, and lenses from 21 to 135mm plus a 400mm adapted to Visoflex, and a Bessa L with a 15mm. I still have one Rolleiflex T, a Minolta Autocord and a Brooks Plaubel Veriwide 100. The Veriwide is for sale if you're interested.

This all has nothing to do with digital. I'm just keeping the stuff that I really use.

It cerainly seems that the pros are going digital. The Hasselblads in my local Jessops (a UK photo chain store) seems to be multiplying at a rapid rate.

Anyway, I would keep a Rolleiflex. The image quality is much better than 35mm, the build quality is great and the shutter is quiet.

I know this has been a continuous theme, and is becoming a little tired, but there's no way that film will become totally unavailable within any of our lifetimes. The real question is, will digital become so superior, that film use will become the preserve of only the most dedicated enthusiast.

I was using a D60 at work today (I am a lab researcher). I am not keen on digital gear, and would not even consider buying a DSLR, but the convenience and image quality of the D60 was remarkable..

<i>After the likely nuclear armageddon.</i> <p>

Thanks Roger, LOL. I appreciate that is was a hypothetical question. As good as the D60 I used today was, I would rather use my Leica for personal photography any time. The digital can't be beaten for the run of the mill "camera to Powerpoint presentation" work though.

Isn't the digi Bessa announcement tomorrow? Maybe you should have waited to ask the question until then.

Because of the viewfinder and the fact the camera is jewel-like, I doubt I could get rid of my M7 anytime soon. Besides which, I've had one Leica M or another for 25 years now, so it would be difficult. Between my Hexar RF and AF, the AF will probably be the first to go because it's the least useful to me of the 3 cameras. After I sell it I may pick up a digicam. Don't know what I'll do after that, it's an evolving process.

Unless I can find a good Leica II (black) for a decent price I will probably hang on to my IIf after I have sold or given my other stuff away. My M6 is a joy to use but it just isn�t as compact and comfortable to carry as the old screw mounts, so when it achieves collectible status I will probably part with it. Meanwhile I will use it with the Visoflex and �bazooka� lenses for bird and small animal work. <p>

I just can�t work up any sentiment for the Oly 5050 so I just have to consider it a peripheral to my PC. Since I am pretty long in the tooth anyway, I don�t concern myself about the demise of film predicted by our more prominent naysayers.

I don't have one, but I'd love a Hasselblad. That 6x6 square thing, and limited depth of

field looks so different than either 35mm and digital.

In any event, I still use my Leica for b&w and slide, when I'm not using digital. Most

magazines are cool with old school workflow, and there are situations when it's the right

tool for the job.

I'm keeping the M6 until there's an equivalent or better digital version. The EOS-1v will go if the 1D Mk.II turns out to be as good as promised.

Historians of the future (if there is a future) looking for images will just have to make do with whatever they find in the rubble of A&I.

I use Canon D30 mostly for sports and events that require quick results. For everything else fun I use film. I will sell most of my Konica gear and my Canon 650 will probably die.Here is what I'm keeping: One M6, one yashicamat, One Konica T1Konica for situations when losing a camera is high possibility. Yashicamat for landscapes. M6 for quiet places and candids. I don't foresee upgrading my Dslr until the technology settles down a bit, probably for the next 2 years. If the trend starts to mimic computers and the upgrading craze then I won't participate in the frenzy and stay with film even more.