Lifespan of a 10D.

glenroy

Hi there all,

I was wondering if anyone has had an EOS Digital body "expire" on them.

I have the 10D and the 20D, and the recomemded shutter cycle is stated at

15000 cycles.

I have shot about 100000 on each camera and there seems to be little damage

done.

So my question is, has anyone had a Prosumer EOS Digital body give up on them

mechanically, and if so, what were the first or main symptoms.

Thanks

GlenRoy.

Canon's White Paper on the 30D says "New, professional-quality shutter rated to approximately 100,000 cycles". This implies that the 10D and 20D life is shorter.

Without, however, saying whether this is the MTBF, or L10 (life which 90% exceed), or what, means this figure is actualy meaningless. I do wish Canon would define the meaning of this figure.

Canon have said the 20D shutter life is twice that of the 10D, and Canon reps have implied that the 10D life is around 50,000 on average.

The "conventional" wisdom based on this is 50,000 for the 10D, 100,000 for the 20D and also 100,000 for the 30D. Canon have not specifically said anywhere (that I know of) that the 30D shutter has a longer life than the 20D shutter.

Hi. I work at a camera repair service center...the 10D and 20D shutter assembly is identical.

The part numbers are different but every component to the naked eye is the same and 96%

plastic. How it could ever last twice as long as a 10D shutter is non-sense and hearsay.

Um...

everyone has actually missed the question.

Glen really wanted to know if there are any early warning signs that your shutter is going

to fail.

Not an expert, but I would think it would just plain fail with very little warning.

What everyone seems to be saying is that, irrespective of Canon's numbers, the thing goes

until it dies, whenever that is :)

regards,

"Hi there all,

I was wondering if anyone has had an EOS Digital body "expire" on them. I have the 10D and the 20D, and the recomemded shutter cycle is stated at 15000 cycles. I have shot about 100000 on each camera and there seems to be little damage done. So my question is, has anyone had a Prosumer EOS Digital body give up on them mechanically, and if so, what were the first or main symptoms.

Thanks

GlenRoy"

Did he sit there holding the shutter button down whilst counting the exposures and watching Oprah? I can't see how he got any work done AND kept track of how many exposures his bodies have shot.

I have absolutely no clue how many frames I've shot, other than that I've worn out at least one shutter.

JJ

Hello.

I have not had that on go on me but I know with my really old EOS elan it sounded slightly different was all and then the exposures started to come out strange. Some times it would be lighter on the top and then it when to the point I would have a third or a half of the frame darker.

I have heard the same from many other people that it just will show up in the pictures before it completely fails

Good news its not too much to replace it and that number is just an approximant so you may have many many shots left just enjoy shooting

Good luck

Justin Thornton

I had a shutter fail on a 350D while it was under warranty. At least that's what Canon told me they replaced, and it is working perfectly well now. But I had absolutely no warning. Took a photo, as normal, and when it came time to turn the camera back on an hour later there was no life at all. I am skeptical why a failure of a mechanical part would seem to cause complete electrical failure, but I guess shutters are electronic so it's possible.

• 7 years later...
<p>According to my conversation with Canon Customer Services support for particular models is planned for 7-10 years with some parts limitations starting after 5. So the shutter may last ages but if somethig goes wrong (as my 10D did) Canon's advice was 'buy a new one'.</p>