_use_ of the second body and less than the shared characteristics

with theprimary one: Do you use a second body (to a primary film or

digital body)? How much do you use it? In what situations? Is it

the same system at all (e.g., EOS) or do you mix-and match? Of

course, there will be many of you with a wide range of multiple

bodies, so I'll appreciate your input too, but let's keep the

discussion relatively narrow.

I'll appeciate your shared experience.

My main camera is a Canon 10D. My other camera is a Canon Elan IIe, which uses the same EOS lenses.

Since purchasing it, my 10D is used about 99 percent of the time. Once, I got to where I needed to be, pulled out my 10D and realized I left my CF card at home. Ooops! Luckily, I had my film camera in the car and an emergency roll of film in the glove box. (I know, I know...not supposed to store it there. But in this case, it saved the day.)

Other than that minor emergency, my film camera has received very little use. I'm not getting rid of it though. I plan to get out and mess with some more black and white shots including a bit of infrared.

Even though my Elan IIe and my 10D are alike in many, many ways...it took me about 10 minutes to reaquaint myself with the film camera before using it again. (Yeah, I'm a little slow on the uptake when it comes to photography.)

As I only use analog, my primary is a EOS-1n with the E1 motor as an option, secondary (backup) EOS-1.

I usually have my backup body loaded with black&White film. I need it in case that my primary body would fail. I don't like the Idea of buying a new EOS body if I can find one in Samos for example:)

Cheers!

Andreas

I mainly use the Digital Rebel. Last month I bought a used EOS Elan (the original) from KEH.com so that I can experiment with slide film and super-wide angle (I have a Tokina 19-35 AF193 lens). Of course, being able to use the same lenses and flashes and remote as the Digital Rebel is a bonus.

The Elan handles real nice--I like it much better than the Rebel Ti I used to have.

If I find that I like what slides have to offer, I may get another used body down the road. I've heard great things about the Minolta Maxxum 7, and may get that with a 28-105 type lens.

I have a 10D and picked up and Elan 7e as a backup. This decision came exactly because of what you mentioned: shared functionality, body build, and looks. I have not yet needed to use the 7e, since I haven't had any moments of 10D failure (either equipment or user) with this set up. Actually, the one time I was on a shoot and decided to use film, I realized that the batteries were dead and I had only one replacement instead of the required two.

I have used the 7e for personal fun, though. It doesn't go totally neglected.

<I>I am thinking of adding a second body to a Digital Rebel (they'll share some good lenses).</I> <P>why? <P><P><I>Is it the same system at all (e.g., EOS) or do you mix-and match?</I><P>IMO The only reason to mix systems would be different format (medium, large, or 35mm). I couldnt think of a reason to carry <B>2</B> 35mm incompatable systems. <P>

I think the best answer will be answered by yourself. If you are thinking of a second body, why? If it is just to collect cameras and you can't think of a reason, than maybe you really dont need a backup. I have a backup film EOS 3 to my EOS 10D. Why? Wider angle that my 10D cant achieve because of the crop factor. Otherwise I wouldnt have it. I think its a pain in the ass to carry 2 cameras with lenses in most situations (unless you carry a <b>huge</B> camera bag). I would personally just change lenses. The only reason I would entertain the idea is if I had 2 film bodies. Each loaded with different film types. Digital fixes that. Good luck. AJM

I have an Elan7 along with my 10D. I picked it because the controls are almost the same. Initially I mostly used the 10D, but as time goes I see that I'm also using the 7 more and more. I use it for cases where I know I don't need dozens of shots of the same subject to get one good shot. I use it for cases where I want wider angles.

I had Nikon gear before getting the 10D, and I sold it all when getting the 10D.

Vassil:

<p>

It kind of depends on what the purpose of your back up body is. If you want to do what you are doing with the D-Rebel, and do it digitally, it makes sense to get another D-Rebel. Better yet, if cost is not a problem, is to get a Canon 10D and let your D-Rebel be the back up to the 10D.

<p.

Yet another digital back up option is to get a point and shoot like the Canon G3. This camera uses the same memory cards and batteries as the 10D, but it does not take the Canon EF lenses since it has its own built in lens. Sometimes I carry it as a light weight back-up.

<p>

Most of the time, my back up camera to my 10D digital body is a film camera body for the times my Canon 10D doesn't have a wide enough field of view, even with the 15mm fisheye. I sometimes shoot digital and film side by side (usually Fuji Velvia). The film bodies are also a back up in case the 10D decides not to work (something all cameras do eventually). For film back up I use the EOS 3 and/or Elan IIe.

<p>

If you would be happy with a film body for your back up, I would suggest you get a used Canon Elan IIe, or a new Canon 7e. Both of these economical bodies use the same lenses as your D-Rebel but without the 1.6x field of view crop you get with the D-Rebel or 10D. Both have a built in pop-up flash. They are intuitive to use.

<p>

Happy Shooting!

<p>

Jim<div>007aF3-16876484.jpg.ae3cdb1664e37c733b022b3f205891f4.jpg</div>

My primary camera was the EOS A2E. Then I purchased my 10D and a 420EX flash. I have not used my film camera since I got the 10D last June. But it is there, as you say, a backup. OMG, if I use it, how will I know if I recorded what I wanted on the film?

I used to shoot motorsports with 2 bodies and different lenses and/or film. This was easier than changing lenses. My next backup will be another Canon digital SLR. And likely it will be the 10d because I will buy the new Mark II.

Hi Vassil,

1st body 1VHS backup 1VHS, both set up slightly differently. The

first body has a bright screen and is custom functioned to fewer

focus points and full stop changes to AV and TV for speed

(mostly candid portraits) the backup has a grid screen for

leveling horizons and all focus points active on manual select

and third stop adjustments to AV and TV, the backup is mostly

used for landscapes and formal portraits.

Main body has Fuji Provia 80% of time and Kodak Portra 160 VC

and 400 VC the rest (weddings) backup has Fuji Velvia 50 80%

of time and Portra and B&W for the weddings.

Having said all that I'll use both bodies interchangeably because

they can both do the same job, but the primary does about 50%

more rolls of film. If I were to have a digital I'd really miss the

wide angle so in your case I'd probably go for a film body. I use

both bodies all the time, very rarely going out and never on a

paid job with only one body. Even if both cameras are loaded

with your favourite film it gives you the flexibility of having two

lenses on the go at the same time, an important factor in fast

moving situations, like kids playing at a family BBQ! Or outdoor

wedding receptions.

Traditionaly keen photogs leapfrog their gear so your natural

next body is either a 10D and the 300D becomes the backup or

an Elan 7? (not sure of the model numbers now!) So your

functionallity keeps increasing as your kit and experiance do.

Take care, Scott.

I'm left wondering why everyone needs a second body.

I shoot overseas a lot, primarily for myself and print sales, I shoot kickboxing and punk shows for publication, and I shoot portraits and general street photography when I have time.

I have a 10D, which replaced a single 35mm camera with lenses (non-SLR), and I can't see needing a backup. I think it's a huge waste of money that results in one camera sitting around a lot.

This is more true with digital as you certainly don't need a second body with different film.

I do carry a pinhole with me when I travel, but that's a completely different thing.

Hi Jeff,

Insurance (tell the brides mum your camera broke!)

Flexibility (have two films in two different bodies)

Speed (have two different lenses mounted at the same time)

Functionality (have different bodies set up to do different jobs)

Reliability (try paying the morgage when one of your bodies has

a problem)

Longevity (try changing lenses at a windswept surf contest)

These might sound like pro or semi pro considerations so how

about,

Wanting the conveniance of digital but the wide angle of film.

Wanting to upgrade your equipment but not wanting to sell (at a

huge loss) your current gear.

Wanting B&W film and either digital or colour film.

Thats a couple of reasons that I could think of but I'm sure there

are many more. You might travel the world with one body and

two lenses, you might get all the pics and angles that you need

from them, enough people have made their livings out of a

rangefinder and one lens, but it seems nowdays that many pics

are published because of a wider lens in a familiar setting or an

IS or VR lens is giving a picture not previously though possible,

how many travel pics were reshot when Velvia came out? The

bottom line is the people that are pushing those boundaries are

not leaving home with one body so why should anybody else if

they feel the need?

Take care, Scott.

The original Elan (which I use) is a great complement for the Dribble (which I use). It's really light, inexpensive, quiet, has good features, and shares the same remote as the 300D.<p>

Often either can be used to back up the other.<p>

If I need bigger enlargements want to check out lighting variations, I sort of 'sketch' with the digital and take the final with the film. This is similar to using a polaroid back in the studio.<p>

In the back country or travelling the digital takes most of the pics unless the batteries die or the memory fills or fails. It's good to have film for a security blanket.

<p>Digital still cannot rival film for B&W prints.

Scott, most of the people I see carrying multiple bodies don't seem to have much in the way of photographs to show for it.

The last two kickboxing events I shot, ESPN came with one set of video gear. No backup camera. The "official" photographer (I do documentary work on a specific boxer) whose photographs are used to record the event brought one camera.

I shot a music show a while back that was also done in video (released by Palm Pictures, Tabla Beat Science), and the video crew brought only one camera.

I've met war photographers who carry one camera.

It strikes me that it's usually equipment-obsessed photographers who carry lots of cameras (I'll leave out wedding photographers) and not people who are making a living or an art career from photographs.

Hi Jeff,

Now I don't know about land based videography but I don't know

any underwater videographers that don't have backups and

although the crews you have worked with might have only had

one camera I'd be supprised if in the van or at least close by they

couldn't get their hands on a backup camera, but videography is

really of topic.

As I said there are plenty of people who have made their livings

from one rangefinder and one lens and I agree with you that

many enthusiasts are as interested in the gear as the pics (so

what) but there are a lot more war photogs out there with

backups than without, and the reasons I gave for having one all

still stand. Some pros travel light, I know you have advocated that

on several occasions, some travel heavy, I do (two bodies four

lenses), but when your up a 103 foot mast and you need a

16mm perspective and Velvia nothing else will do.

The reason you see more equipment obsessed enthusiasts

than pros out there is because there are more of them! But I

don't think that means having two bodies is too much, especially

if they compliment each other.

Take care, Scott.

Thanks for everyone who responded.

Here my reasons/considerations for a second body:

- I like the film format as well as the digital format. They allow you to do different things.

- Wide angle lenses remain wide angle on film.

- In some real life situations, it is not practical to change lenses, for example going from a 70-200 2.8 to 28 1.8.

- Cameras heavy on electronics vs relatively simple, fully mechanical cameras, allow you to do different things. (For example, bulb is not limited to battery life if there is no battery). This reason alone can make you think of bodies with incompatible systems.

- Multiple bodies allow multiple shooters, e.g. kids.

- The marginal cost of adding one is negligible, if they share the same lenses. One can pick up a used Elan (original) for $50 on ebay.

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience and making my choice more enlightened.

• 1 month later...