100/2.8 Macro (non USM) lens hood

michael_peters1

Hi.

I just started building my EOS system.

Mom has an EOS 630 system, and one of the lenses she has but NEVER

uses is a 100/2.8 Macro, the older non USM version.

Her favorite lens was the 35-80 "kit zoom" but she gave that to my

sister with a EOS 650.

So since many of mom's lenses were dirty from lost/never replace lens

caps, I made a deal. I get the 100/2.8 Macro, replace her missing

rear/front caps, and clean all her lenses (and put UV/haze filters on

them to protect at least the front elements if/when caps get lost

again), and she get my 35-80 zoom (I got mine bundled with the EOS

body I bought on eBay)

Yes - I'm probably getting the better end of the trade - yes, I told

mom that - she doesn't care, she will be happy to have 35-80 zoom

again and to have her lenses cleaned.

Now my question - does the hood that Canon makes for the current

100/2.8 USM Macro fit the older non USM version of the lens?

ET-67 is the hood Canon lists. I probably won't be using it for that

much Macro work - I will be using it just to have a prime longer than

my 85/1.8 until I can afford the 135/2L. So I definitely want the hood.

It is difficult to tell from Adorama's picture of the current version

of the lens as to wether or not the hood mounting is the same.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What size filter does this lens take. Most telephoto lens hoods would be more than adequate.

I've picked up several things off an aution site from a seller named american eagle. He sells filters, step rings and metal hoods. His hoods seem to be better made than what i've gotten from my nyc retailers.

I think at 1/4 the price of a dedicated hood you might agree.

I'm not connected with this seller, just a happy shopper.

I've bought from him before, though never a shade.

It's a 58mm thread.

I prefer canon shades for a couple of reasons -

They don't use the filter thread, which means if I'm using several filters there isn't a chance of vignetting from also having the hood attached. Also - if the shade gets banged, since it's not attached to the filter thread - you won't damage the filter thread.

But I have bought camera straps and lens caps from American Eagle (well, a seller on eBay with that handle) and he (they) are very quick in delivery and a pleasure to deal with.

Also - for name brand lenses, having the name brand hood and pouch adds to the resale value if I need to sell it on eBay in the future (not likely - I'll probably stick with EF system for years - but it still is a detail worth considering)

No, the hood for the newer USM version (which takes 58mm filters) does not fit the older 100mm macro lens (which takes 52mm filters).

In face there was no hood designed or specified for the older lens as the front element is quite deeply recessed; and in fact there is no place to even mount a Canon type hood on the older lens.

It would seem desireable to mount a hood if a filter is used but it seems there are only two alternatives. One is to use some sort of generic screw-in type. The other possibility is to use the ES-62 hood specified for the EF50mm f/1.8 II.

This hood comes with an adapter which you screw onto the lens and which in turn provides a place to attach the hood. (It either clips on or bayonets on; I don't know which.) I don't know how effective this hood will be on your macro lens and whether or not it will vignette, but I suspect it may work ok.

Do you experience much lens flare with that lens with the front glass so far back? Anyway, I picked this up a few months ago for when I needed a screw in lens hood. It works pretty well and folds upon itself when you push it down so it is out of the way. BTW it is very soft and can absorb a pretty good impact.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=11151&is=REG

You're right - it is 52mm (I stated 58mm earlier)

There is a lip though where it looks like one could be attached - though it is a wider lip than the lip on the 50/1.8 MKI

I definitely want to use a UV filter - it is recessed which does make it more difficult to remove any dust that does land on the lens.

I'll look for a solution if flare ends up ever being an issue. I like to keep lenses in pouches, so the rubber kind of screw in shade isn't really ideal - you have to screw/unscrew it every time. The new type 50/1.8 might be a solution - but maybe I'll use a multi-coated UV (from B+W). The 52mm multi-coated B+W 010's aren't too expensive - and might be enough to reduce/illiminate flare through the protective filter.

Michael:

<p>

The lip around the front of the lens is for mounting a ring light (flash), not a hood.

<p>

I agree with the others. I have never used a lens hood on my EF 100 macro (older version) due to the deeply recessed first element.

<p>

Jim