Rolleiflex 2.8 F and C

diego_alonso

Hi everybody, i am planing to buy a Rolleiflex 2.8 and would like to

know the diference betwen the F and the C models in optical terms,

parallax corrected and mechanical construccion; i read the screen is

brighter in the F ( don,t know if it is a very high diference or if

it is a big advantage), The F have meter (i have a sekonic 308).

Have they got the same bayonet? the same accesories? They have the

same coating? Softer,contrastier?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.........KINDLY.DIEGO.

The F has a brighter viewing screen, a possibly better design of viewing hood which can be replaced with a pentaprism and a coupled exposure meter. Apart from that, they're pretty well identical.

Having used both a C and an F I'd go for the F every time simply for the superior viewfinder.

I prefer the C - with a replacement viewing screen the C finder is as good as the F and you don't carry around a basically useless meter - I assume you'll use your Sekonic, since you have it. You will pay a premium for a F with a working, undamaged meter. The screen in the F is likely to be old/dirty too depending on last service and age. I have owned both and could see no difference in mechanical construction or optical performance except that the out-of-focus highlights in the C are a little rounder, due to a ten-bladed iris vs. the F's five-bladed iris.

Your first purchase after the Rolleiflex should be a bayonet (I think they are both Bay III) to screwmount converter so that you can use modern, easily obtainable filters. Rolleiflex bayonet filters in good condition are collector's items and B+W or Heliopan or Hoya etc. will cost no more and probably be better.

(there may be F cameras with ten blades but not the ones I have seen. There may be Cs with five also.)

One major criticism I've seen cited on the RUG and elsewhere with the 2.8C is the plastic latches. (release and flash synch port?) Otherwise, I think any of C, D, E or F are fine cameras. I took the approach of shopping for a camera in the best condition within my budget and it ended up being a 2.8E with a (broken) meter.

I would consider replacing the screen on either of these cameras, so I don't think that's an issue.

According to Harry Fleenor the 2.8 before the "E" varied widely in optical performance, some were great and others just so-so. Evidently by the time of the E they got their production techniques down so that there was consistency.

Another really, really annoying fault of the "C" is the flip-up magnifier is on an articulating arm, ostensibly so that it can be positioned at variable distance from the GG screen, a sort of dioptric adjustment in essence. A good idea with a terrible execution, because there's no way to lock it in one position. Unless you see the screen sharply with the magnifier at its lowest position, where there's a stop, you have to readjust it each time you use it and the moment you bring your eye against it, it moves. That's the reason I sold my "C".

THANK YOU VERY MUCH guys, you´re ALL GREAT, thanks for your suports and technical adds, the union make the force, happily my wife and friends are ok but still a very sad day, hope this madness finish soon for all of us.

Taking up the question again i would like to know if it is easy to find a brighter screen for the C and if it´s also easy to replace it,

The D and E have the same screen? Is it a big improvment (i like to shot in dim light)?.

My budget is limited so i prefer to buy a C in better condition than a worst condition D,E or F, if the improvment is not too big.

THANKS AGAIN.

yo instale un "maxwell screen" que venia con instrucciones, bastante facil para un

manitas. yo encanta me 2.8c, pero lo tenia que llevar a jose luis mur (fotocasion)

para una ajuste, tenlo en cuenta con el presupuesto. hay un 2.8f como nuevo en

daylight lab (c/prudencio alvaro), pero otra vez digo que si no lo compras de una

tienda especializada probobilidades que lo tendras que dar un CLA.

adrian

Diego,

I'm sure all forum members thoughts are with you and your country in regards to "M-11". It is, indeed, a strange world in which we live.

I cannont help you on the Rollei question as I only used them briefly years ago (I use Hasselblad now...and forever!). But I'd like to try one again for personal work as opposed to client assignments.

Good luck with your new/old Rollei...and take care!