ardenpress

Probably heading to India for about 2 weeks-- Delhi, the Taj Mahal,

Ganges, Darjeeling and other place along the way, what lenses do you

recommend. I was going to take a 24-70mm, and 100-400mm. Any and all

suggestions welcome, including criticisms of this kit. If there are

any special issues I should know about, please feel free to let me

know.

Thank you.

My only suggestion is that you keep your kit to an absolute minimum. Carrying gear in India is a real pain (and most people overpack for India anyway, so your burden may be even more burdensome). FWIW, I have never used a long lens in India. You can always get close to what you need to shoot. Take lots of film, though, and shoot liberally.

If you want a long lens, that 100-400 is a good choice. That kit is about the max. what I would be taking to India & exactly what I have had with me to similar places.

If you have a power booster/vertical grip for the body, leave that at home (I am talking about a film body now).

Depends on what you want the photos for.

If you are a professional photographer, then your kit sounds great, although I'd be tempted to agree with Jos about the 70-200 lens. As a pro you will be willing to put the extra time and effort into using a longer lens.

If you are just a really keen amateur who gets occassional photos published, like myself, then think about leaving the long lens at home or trying out a 28-200mm superzoom. They are fantastic for travel.

That's my 2 cents.

I never used anything longer than a 135 while there back in 1980. I wished that I had brought something shorter than the 35. Something in the range of 24 or 28 ought to be good for those Taj shots of the gardens and edifice. Unless you are going to Corbett Park or Ranthambor, even a long lens is probably unnecessary. I'd forget the 100-400.

a zoom range between 24-135 is a good travel lens, at least for me. you will have a lot of opportunity shooting people portraits. most indians are genuinely friendly and allowing you to take their photos, (but also beware of those whose interest is what's in your wallet too.)

bring some high speed films as tripod are not allowed in some places or temples.

-eng

I've been 3 times to India - North and South. The people in India are so photogenetic that a decent portrait lens is essential: 70-200 is perfect (2.8 if you can afford it). Weight should not be an issue, having the right gear should. Invest in a Lowe Pro backpack like the Lowe Pro Mini Trekker (100Us$?). Great bag for this kind of trip. If you don't have the cash to buy a new lens then take your 100-400, it will take some effort to take it around but after your trip you'll be happy you did.

BTW 2 weeks for this itinerary seems pretty short for me. Travelling in India should be slow or you could miss a lot.

What are you photographing? Leave long lenses at home unless you mean to do

architectural detail or wildlife; long telephoto people pictures look awful and in India's

bustle, good luck finding a clear path for the shot. I'd suggest (in prime lens equivalents) a

kit of 20/35/85 or 24/50/105, depending on your style. I used a 35 and 85 for probably

90% of the shooting I did, the rest scattered between a 20 and 50. 24-70 alone could

probably cover you, but I'd take (if possible) it plus a fast 35 or 50 for low light, and a fast

85 or 105 for portraits. Travel light.