mx-evs or 3.5T?

edward_dixon

I'm interested in getting into MF, and, after hearing and seeing how

overpriced Yashica 124G is, I've decided to try for a lower-end

Rollei. Any opinions on the following choice: 3.5 mx-evs listed

as "excellent" for $286 or a 3.5T also listed as being in "excellent"

condition for $379? Thanks.

Who is the seller, as excellent can mean nice looking and in good working order, or junk depending on the sellers reputation. Either one would do fine , but ask more specific questions to the seller first, like do all the speeds work, does the self timer work, is there any funky stuff in the inner elements of the lens, or cleaning marks, does the focus work smoothly without play in the front housing, has the film transport and counter been checked out with a dummy roll to see if it is operational? Is the focusing screen clean or full of scratches, how is the leather, intact or peeling , full of glue, or missing some chunks? Try to get a week or so to try it out with return priveledges without a re-stocking fee before you buy. A lot of the older Rolleis have quite a history by now, like old cars, and depending on what has been done or not done to it, could lead to an expensive repair bill to put it in good working order. Good luck with it--I still have an old Rolleicord that performs beautifully I bought 20 years ago for $40.00!

Edward, this is one of those times when you really can't go wrong; either by choosing the MX-EVS, a Rollei T, or a Yashica 124G...unless the camera you purchase has problems or needs serviced. The MX-EVS model is nearly 50 years old, and while they are wonderful shooters, expect to pay something extra if the unit hasn't been serviced in the last two decades or so. The "T" is rumored to have an "improved" version of the Tessar lens and while that is great, its the more modern chassis with removable hood that makes this camera a really attractive proposition. Still, a heavily used T -while being a newer camera- is no less likely to need less work than anything else. Who is offering these camera's is actually more important than the differences between them. Personally, at this point I'm more inclined to purchase Rolleiflex models over the others (except Minolta Autocord's) because of their value and parts availablity. If the glass is clean, the back is tight, the shutter is reasonably accurate, and the wind is operating correctly they will both shoot fantastic images, on most any available 120 film. Who would have thunk it!? A potential MF buyer bypassing the more "expensive" Yashica for a Rolleiflex!! Surely, the end of the age is near...

The seller is KEH for both. There is also an mx-evs at All Seasons Camera for $300 which is listed as "excellent++". I am in fact nervous buying a used item sight-unseen, with only the seller's estimation of its condition, but even though I'm outside a big city (Philly), the local used camera market is very, very limited. Thanks for prior advice.

Although I've never delt with them personally, I have read many times in this forum buyers praising KEH for both sales and service. I would assume you could buy with confidence. By the way; some later Rollei T's offered the choice of using both 120/220, and I simply love the side-facing PC and shutter ports. A quality 3.5T for under $400 isn't a bad deal.

John,

According to Authur Evans in his book "Collectors Guide To Rollei Cameras", the specs for the Rolleiflex T (Type 3) show a 220 film counter. Now, I don't know why Rollei would fit a counter for 1-24 frames if the camera would not accept 220 film, but anything is possible I suppose. The text did mention Honeywell never imported the camera to the USA. Has anyone ever seen one of these models?

• 3 months later...

Actually the counter on the 3.5T automatically switches between 1-12 and 1-16 (not 24) (when the optional 645 kit is installed). Does anyone know why the pressure plates changes from 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 to 1 x 1 1/2? I didn't think there were Rolleikin kits for the T.

I have a T and love it. Purportedly it has a better Tessar than previous ones as Zeiss "re-computed" the formula in the 60's.

For clarification, there was never a 220 option for the Rolleiflex T. The options for adaptation to other formats and additional exposures require the use of a proprietry 645 masking set. The 12 exp counter is shared with the 16. The counter switches over to 1-16 automatically once the mask is fitted at the film plane.

Some Ts are made to accept the Rolleikin(35mm film adaptor). Those that came with adjustable pressure plate allows interchangeability. Some of the Ts came with only a fixed 6x6 pressure plate. The back can easily be removed and interchanged for a multi-format one.