very grainy images with my Mamiya 645... WHY?

ricardo_villagran

I want to know what I am doing wrong here... I been working a lot with my

645Pro and my 4 lenses 45, 80 2.8, 80 macro and 150. But when I scan my

film I see a LOT of grain on my images... I usually use Provia 100, Superia 100

and Kodak 100VS. Is it a system issue, wrong with technique or an scanner

problem? thanks for any assistance!

neither the film that shows the pronounced grain nor the scanner do "know" which type of camera or lens you used to take the shot :-)

so it must be either the film or the scanner, or the technique used for scanning.

scan an image at the highest possible resolution of the scanner (physical resolution - not interpolated). then double-click on the magnifying glass in photoshop to image pixels of the image 1:1 with the monitor pixels. select an area with various light and color intensities about 20% of the monitor size , cut it and post it here.

there will be many users of this web space familiar with the way a provia should look like at the given resolution. indicate all scanning details and i am sure you will quickly get valuable comments.

cheers

walter

Are you using the included Silverfast software for scanning on the 3200? I also have a 3200 and Silverfast initially defaults (until the setting is changed) to a high degree of sharpening when scanning. My first few scans of 120 film were "grainy" due to the high amount of sharpening that the software added. Turn the sharpening filter off to see if that solves the problem.