Longest lens for Leica M

135mm is indeed the longest lens in the M mount, currently. There was once a 200mm, used with an accessory finder. The Elmarit, at f/2.8, is the fastest Leica 135mm. It's the one with goggles, and will thus work on any M, even an M2 or M6TTL 0.58, because it utilizes the 90mm frame.

Since there are SLR mount to Leica M adapters (see: www.cameraquest.com) the longest of the available brands (Nikon, Leica R, Minolta, Canon, etc.) will fit (1000mm +). No rangefinder coupling, though. ;-)

shel, I can fit my Canon 500mm f4.5L S.S.C. on to any M mount camera by using a Canon Adapter B and a LTM to M adapter. Of course with no way to verify focus about the only place this would work well would be the Moon at f8 and smaller!

Is your question what is the longer lens that you can hope to accuratly focus with the rangefinder in an M body camera? Cause that would have a very different answer.

OH come to think of it my Sigma 600mm f8.0 Mirror would fit as well!!

Addendum - <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm">Here's the link</a> to Stephen Gandy's most exhaustive list of lenses for the Leica M.<p>Secondly, a brief research brought up that there doesn't seem to be a Minolta lens to Leica M adapter, at least not from gandy, nor a Olympus OM to Leica m adapter (and the guys from Olympus are the ones who definitely made a 1000mm lens) - so, the longest and fastest to shoot the moon seems to remain the 5.6/800 Leica R APO Telyt, apart from third party mirror lenses.<p>A last resort to break that barrier might be some weird combination of Novoflex adapters including the use of MF lenses... ;-)

"If you "cheat" like me, & use a Contax RF-LTM adapter + LTM-M adapter, you can mount a 180/6.3 Tele-Tessar or super-rare direct-mount 180/2.8 Olympia Sonnar on a Leica M."

Cool.

How do you focus it? If you can't get accurate focus with the lens, what's the point?

I'm sure that there's some combination of adapters that would allow you to mount a Questar on an M4 without a Visoflex. So what? What would you do with it besides take a picture of it with another camera?

Tradition has it that 135 is the maximum focal length suitable for RF use. There is logic in the notion, but I am aware of successful RF coupling of a Zeiss 180 to the old Leica screw mount. It required careful and liberate focusing but it worked. For practical use however I have found that the longer lenses work more conveniently with the Visoflex. I have used them with the extension tube instead of the Visoflex, but it is a ticklish affair and fraught with disappointment.

<i>If you can't get accurate focus with the lens, what's the point?</i><p>Well, you can always get an external rangefinder. Try a Google picture search on "watameter" for instance. BTW, the question is put in a rather theoretical not practical way, and Shel hasn't chimed back in again to tell us if he's happy with the nature of the replies he's got so far...?! Shel, are you listening? ;-)

Peter, my Contax RF-LTM adapter is fully RF-coupled--I have 1 of the Orion-type copies mentioned by Stephen Gandy @ <http://cameraquest.com/adapter.htm>.

--------------

""If you "cheat" like me, & use a Contax RF-LTM adapter + LTM-M adapter, you can mount a 180/6.3 Tele-Tessar or super-rare direct-mount 180/2.8 Olympia Sonnar on a Leica M."

Cool.

How do you focus it? If you can't get accurate focus with the lens, what's the point? "