sharpness of canon powershot G2 and canon EF 50mm 1.8

pradeep1

could someone who has the canon powershot g2 and a canon eos digital

with the 50mm 1.8 lens give me an idea of the difference in sharpness

of images of both the lenses? this might sound funny but i want to

upgrade to a digital SLR and i was wondering if someone could help me

here. thanks in advance.

Pradeep,

<p>I have a Nikon N90s with 50/1.8 and a Canon G2. IMHO the 50 on Reala 100 or even on Agfa Vista 100 simply BLOWS away the G2 at any focal length for sharpenss.

<p>I wont even go into noise etc. which on G2 is ok, but does not compare to a DSLR.

<p>I am sure that the Canon 50/1.8(or is it 1.7 ?) would be as good as the Nikon 50 and would blow the G2 as well.

<p>This is an apple to oranges comparison. Get the DSLR with the 50mm lens if you can afford it, and u will never look back...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! HOOOOOhahahahahaha! Ahhhhh! *wipes away tears*

No current P&S digital comes even CLOSE to a DSLR with a 50mm prime lens. I don't care

which brand you choose, they all blow away the P&S crowd.

It isn't even a fair comparison. It's like a race with a boll weevil vs an F1 car. It's like

comparing a Tiffany lamp with something you got at Costco. It's like comparing a Rolex

with the watch you got at McDonalds. It's like a cruise ship vs. a floating wood chip. It's

like comparing a pile of diamonds with a broken window pane.

Not necessary.

It's entirely possible that the G2's output would LOOK sharper, but that's because of

(overly) aggressive in-camera sharpening.

The 50mm f/1.8 is an extremely fine lens. Its design (Gaussian) is one of the tried and

true, classic lens formulae. The G2's lens has a few strikes against it. It's a zoom lens -

few zoom lenses approach the quality of a prime lens. It's a VERY wide-angle lens - 7

-21mm. There's bound to be some massive distortion at the wide end. I don't think that

the teeny weeny zooms in teeny weeny cameras are very well corrected, because it'd be

hard to see the difference on such a small sensor. There is also a CA problem (chromatic

aberration).

Pradeep, the best way to get an idea of the difference is to compare yourself. The G2 has slighht corner softness, the 50/1.8 shouldn't have (note: I haven't tried it, I mostly shoot Nikon.) A DSLR has image that have significantly less noise. 6 Mpixels is double the resolution of the G2. The difference is considerable (actually the center sharpness of the lens on the G2 is not at all bad, but with half the resolution in a small CCD, what can you expect?)

before any of you laugh your brains out i would likle to tell you that i got my G2 from the USA (my friend got it for me), even if i need to get a DSLR now i would have to ask my friend to get it for me. so you see at my place i will not be able to go into a camera shop like in the US and check out the cameras. so if any of you have got access to both the cameras, could u take the same shot with both cameras and post it here? i know its comparing oranges and apples, and the 50mm will be very sharp, i am just interested to know how sharp, and would my unsharp mask on PS help me get that sharpness with a G2 shot.

Digicams typically feature much more sharpening in camera out-of.the.box than DSLRs do, the reasoning seems to be that a digicam should provide maximum impact right out of the box while a DSLR user can be expected to sharpen himself. Therefore, don't focus too much on apparent sharpness, rather, focus on resolution, noise and color reproduction. Do remember that the G2 has much less resolution than an EOS 300D: sharpening can be applied later, if the resolution is there.

One more thing to note: an image taken with a 50mm prime on a dRebel will only use the center (sharpest) portion of the lens, as the corners are cropped out due to the 1.6x lens correction factor. So what you'll get is a 6 megapixel photo taken with the sharpest parts of a lens (compared to a 4 megapixel photo which includes the soft corners...)

<I>So what you'll get is a 6 megapixel photo taken with the sharpest parts of a lens (compared to a 4 megapixel photo which includes the soft corners...)

</I>

oh that is news to me, so does that mean that there is edge to edge sharpness in the DSLRs and not the point and shoots?