Anybody else color correct digitally? no gels

david_rosenbloom

The only part of the photo that bothers me is the blue light that is coming in the

windows and doors. Shadows and sun light are "supposed" to look neutral

and not blue that is inherent when shooting with tungsten. If your going to do it

PS, "hue and saturation" the blue and cyan channels and cut back on the

saturation only. This will make it more realistic to what the eye sees normally. I

find that a good part of the time, filtration on camera is needed, especially

when shooting chromes, to render the shadows neutral. Printing from

negatives is the same thing. If your getting blue/cyan in the shadows, where

they should be neutral/grey, dial out yellow or equal parts of yellow and

magenta (for red) to make them more natural.

Sorry, I got off track a bit but returning to your question... when pulling out

colors in PS, you will find that either some of your colors will have a bit of

cross over and you can do the H/S but sometimes it is just better to filter in

camera and using the appropriate film for the job.

Mixed lighting is often a problem as mentioned. Tungsten spots produce red, fluo ambient light: green, and the blue light from the outside. It's possible to color correct different layers in Photoshop, erase with soft edge to keep the areas where the correction has to be made and blend the layers together. Time consuming, but if the images are worth it...

Frank, not a rock or tree in sight! :) I try and get everything as color temperature correct in camera as I can, I find on balance that it's actually quicker than sitting in front of the computer, but admittedly takes some thinking about pre-exposure. Nothing quite like showing the client a proper tranny.

Cheers, Robert<div>006ado-15416384.jpg.c0a0381a47258883554aa1dad329fb55.jpg</div>

Frank, thanks for the compliment. It's only the upscale clients (in this case shop-fitters) who choose to afford the job to be done properly, fortunately they are the smart ones who realise that good quality images are an investment and lead to more (and better) jobs. I agree 100% that we should embrace whatever tools are available to get the job done. But with more tools and flexibility it takes much more knowledge and experience to know which to use and when!

Cheers, Robert.