DO you see photography "improving" in the last 50 years?

travis1

Jeff, I could not stay with this thread (or the forum) today because I was busy developing film. You asked for "examples" - but I'm not comfortable with issuing some kind of list that would target the works of specific individuals. I do believe (and doubt that I'm alone in this belief) that there is an abundance of contemporary work that seeks acceptance and approval through context, association, "marketing", and pretense - rather than through any intrinsic depth of beauty, committment, or vision. Travis elicited opinions, "however subjective" - and this is simply mine.

Here's the problem. There are always these accusations about modern photographers and artists, but whenever I ask for who they are talking about, I get these vague answers. Until someone points out this vast horde of poseurs, it's hard to tell that they're real.

And saying "opinion" is a complete and total cop-out. It doesn't mean that someone can make wild accusations that aren't backed up by facts.

My opinion is that there is nothing behind the accusation, at least at this point.

Mine certainly has. I went from a 120 box camera to a 35mm Ansco Memar at age 13 in 1955. By 1962 I had a Yashica YF, which was a Nicca made Leica copy. From there I quickly moved to genuine Leica screw mounts and by 1967 I was into M bodies. I went through a lot of cameras over the years, including a Hasselblad outfit and several view cameras up to 8x10, but the Leica M's were and are always my mainstay. I'm not sure that I take better pictures than I did 35 or 40 years ago but I think that I'm more consistant.

Jeff, If I'd have stated my position as a "fact", rather than an "opinion", you'd have undoubtedly been even less gracious! (LOL)

I'm not trying to make any "wild" accusations - and I don't think anyone can read a wholesale indictment of the whole of contemporary art in my response. There are, in fact, quite a few artist-photographers whom I deeply admire. Of course there's a lot of fascinating stuff being done these days - but there is also a lot that has been .... shall we say, overly hyped and unrealistically appraised - and do you doubt that subsequent generations may entertain divergent opinions from the critiques that are current today?

I admire a lot of work that has been done and is being done - but I would be a fool to try to pretend to love EVERYTHING uncritically, mindlessly, or equally!

I have this problem with contempory phototgraphy , in witch one day I decide its time to start shooting color film because I discover people like, David Alan Harvey, and Constintan Manos, and then , out of nowhwere I see the works of photographers like Dr. Emil Hummler, and

Ara Guler, and I think now thats what taking pictures is all about.

I know that the latter two photographers are from an older period

but I get completely undecided on what I would like to do personally.

I know this tread isn't about ME but I'm just reflecting on what good pictures are to me. One day its this ,next day its that.Its a matter of emersion, if you hang around long enough you come to apperciate whats new. I think?

I guess I'll go back to black and white with a old 3.5 suumiron lense.

J. Ten