already set up that I can use? Do I need to rent a car? Where's a

good place to stay?

What are the tricks and secrets for getting great eagle shots around

Haines? What else in the area is good to photograph this time of

year?

Thanks in advance.

Seattle, Washington

Bob,

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll tackle a couple of them. Finding the Eagles is not an issue--they're swarming around the river and waterways. Renting a car, if you can find one, is a good idea if for no better reason than to have somewhere to warm up from time to time, but also because you may need to go a few miles outside of town for shots. I don't know about the blinds or guides issue.

Not the greatest time of the year for a lot of photography around that part of Alaska, but depending on how long you plan to stay you have the Yukon Territories just a short few hours drive away and some beautiful scenery there.

--evan

this is the easiest shoot that you will have! ( I have been there the past three years in November, except this year--off to churchill)

first fly from seattle to juneau, juneau take haines airways to Haines (approx. cost $140 round trip and about 45minutes) or ferry ride is 8hr but does not travel everyday. stay at the Captains Choice Hotel (most restaurants are within walking distance from hotel. (they will pick you up at the airport). you can rent a car from them. where are the eagles mainly 21 miles down the highway from haines all you have to do is drive and park. Timing is everything there, my suggestion is as following--Haines chamber of commerce or state of alaska division of parks in haines (907-766-2292) and ask if the river has frozen and if so what channel (far or near), if the far channel has frozen over the eagles will be on the highway side and shooting will be unbelieveable, if the far channel has not frozen the shooting will be reasonable. I have photographed eagles with everything from a 28-70 to a 600mm, mainly 300/500 and 600 with and without teles. Tempeture is around 20 degrees, do not worry about rain in haines at the eagle preserve it will be snowing (most likely)and that is what you want. Best time for the greatest qty is mid November to mid december (3's around 2800 eagles along the river. May is also a good time, wildflowers, bears, whales, birds etc. November/Decmber timeframe you may see a total of a dozen people photographing eagles. Try to arrive after the eagle conference which I do believe this year is November 17,18,19 (only about 200-300 people show up but a pain) Any further questions please feel free to email me.

I was in Haines in September. You'll love it. Everything is in walking distance. There is a small museum between the center of town and where the army use to house their officers. Lots of Eagle information there.

Lots of Eagles in the area. Try to get over to Skagway while you are there. Population is about 500 or less this time of year. Just a short boat ride away. Also there is a road that circles up into the mountains and can bring you to Skagway but it's about an 8 hour drive as opposed to a 20 minute boat ride.

Enjoy! Post your pictures when you get back--I'msure we'd all love to see them.

Bob: I've only been in Haines in the summer and loved the town. It has a wonderful energy and people are great. I purposefully missed two ferries because I didn't want to leave. The most common eagle viewing areas are along the Haines Highway leaving town towards Haines Junction, YT. Based on hearsay, I'd suspect your biggest issue may be too many people. If the weather is ok and you have a car I can't too strongly recommend driving towards Haines Junction through British Columbia. I've been on some beautiful roads and this one may be my favorite. Have a wonderful trip!!! Neal

I enjoyed shooting eagels in Homer this summer with my camera. The usual distance before they seemed to get nervous was about two tree heights away or across a 60 foot river. I was stacking doublers and praying for poses with my 200mm. Slow lenses and film were my disadvantage. This time of year, it will get dark sooner and you have a great chance of gray low light days. Do you enjoy the luxury of the big and fast lenses or should you be considering faster film? Tripod is a must either way as everything gets heavy as you wait for that special shot. Try e-mailing Haines and see if they have a Photography Club; you might make their meeting or touch base with someone living there who can assist you better. Don't forget to adjust if you have too much white in the snow. Ken

Thanks for the really great responses, everyone. I can't wait to go. I will go for 5 days and stay at the Captain's Choice motel and rent a car from them. I will try to drive up the highway to Haines Junction on one of the days.

I would also appreciate comments on the system I am planning to haul up there:

I will have a Nikon MF 600mm f4 so I might miss some in-flight shots that an AFS would give me. I will also use 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. I can use the 1.4x on my 80-200 AF f2.8 if necessary. I will have a sturdy tripod and ballhead supplemented with a Wimberly sidekick for the big lens. I'm hoping there isn't a lot of walking involved.

The current plan is to use mainly Fuji Provia film, possibly pushed up to 400 if there is low light or lots of motion. Not sure if this is good enough when using the teleconverters. Also, I'm wondering if I'd get more definition in both the white and the black feathers with print film. Seems to me that one or the other (or both) tend to get washed out in eagle shots. Any suggestions?

Not sure how well the Nikon 3D matrix metering will handle the snow and grey cloudy skies, but I will test it against spot metering on grey before I start shooting. It would be nice if it did the right thing, but I'm guessing that it will try to overexpose a bit in that environment. Any comments from Nikon users?

I don't suppose I can see the Norhern Lights from there. Since I'm up there anyway, how much farther north (from Juneau) do I have to go to see (i.e. photograph) them well?

Bob,

You can/may see the aurora from Haines, but it will be hit and miss. I think the big problem in that part of Alaska is less whether they come that far south, but more an issue of nearly constant overcast (you're from Seattle, you know what I'm talking about). Anyway, here's an aurora information site with forcast information that may help you out if you check just before you go.

http://dac3.pfrr.alaska.edu:80/~pfrr/AURORA/INDEX.HTM

Bob, you can completely see the aurora (Northern Lights) from Haines. Here in Juneau they've been absolutely raging directly overhead and even alittle to the south every night the sky is clear lately...mostly greens with some yellows (no reds), but they've been absolutely shimmering. Since Juneau is only 60 miles southeast of Haines we share the same sky, plus Haines has a clearer northern view (less close mountians in the way because of Lynn Canal being to the north) - count on seeing them out...it's been clear lately 3 of 7 days a week. Hans