Greetings Leica Forum! I would just like to pass along a few

reminders and a gigantic thank you:

<p>

As the topic of our world here is Leica Photography, I ask that we

keep our new questions -- and responses to them -- centered along

this theme. As you know, our subjects can be very broad, yet I

believe the majority of our posts are OK, especially the ones that

discuss "technique" and "experiences." Every once in awhile,

though, we experience a cosmic shift into bouts of psychosis....

probably not too bad a thing because they help us see how silly

people can be from time to time. Of course, when we notice this,

we're embarrassed by it and we quickly get ourselves back on

course. Anyway, THANK YOU to all who adhere to our topic at hand.

<p>

Please try to categorize your posts as best as possible. It really

helps people who are browsing the categories of our forum in search

of others' experiences using a Leica (or rangefinder) camera.

<p>

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use profanity here. There is enough of

that on U.S. television programming, and this is a much higher-class

place than TV. Also, there are a lot of generations who visit this

forum. Some of them are more sensitive to cussing and vulgarity

than others, so I want us to be as polite as possible. Profanity

within a sentence or phrase automatically makes it impolite for the

reader. Finally, my dad reads this forum!

<p>

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for making sure that your "For Sale (FS)/Want to

Buy (WTB)/Want to Trade (WTT)" posts are properly categorized in

the "For Sale/Wanted to Buy" category. It really is nice to see

this. The majority (99.9%) of these posts are properly categorized,

and the rest are incorrectly categorized in categories like "Leica

M." I recategorize these, but not the ones left

as "uncategorized." (Please see our forum guidelines.)

<p>

This is absolutely the best place on the entire internet to discuss

Leica Photography. I really love this forum and I try to read as

many threads as my day allows, but I can't read them all. If you

see any misbehavior that needs moderator attention, please let me or

Josh know.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

Tony old chap, keep up the good work, I get so tired of the political/religious spin on many of the threads. How some people can turn a civil discussion about film vs digital into discussion of religion or politics is beyond me. However I feel it is important that we allowed to continue French bashing as most of that is truly hilarious.

1: Is discussion of Nikon S-Mount on or off the Forum. Should this be moved to the Classic Camera Forum? I hate to lose out my M3/C7/S3 rotation.

(This would be ashame, as most of the people that can answer the questions hang out here.)

2: On W/NW is posting of pictures taken by Non-Leica equipment, such as but not limited to Nikon F-mount or S-Mount still allowed?

Nothing has changed. Forum guidelines are the same as they always were.

You can have any opinion you want. All that is required is that those opinions are on-topic for the Leica forum and that they are expressed in a non-confrontational manner with respect for other members of the forum. You can disagree all you want to as long as your comments don't get personal and/or abusive. Unless of course you are French...

I've always been a bit confused about off topic posts. If you have a question that's not about Leica, why would you want to post it in a Leica forum? If it's about photography, there's almost certainly a forum here on photo.net which is appropriate for it. If it's not about photography (or some photo related issue) why would you post it on a photography website?

This is a genuine question, I'm not trying to be "smart" (as if that were possible anyway!).

What would be "OT"? Recipes for pancakes? Which car to buy? The State of the Nation? How "OT" should "OT" posts be?

If you just want to chat, I could see an open photo.net chat room being developed. In fact we had one at one time. I don't know what happened to it. I don't know if the idea was rejected or if there were technical issues.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse; color: #FF9900" bordercolor="#111111" width="100%" id="AutoNumber1">

<tr>

<td width="100%">Je suis le fromage</td>

</tr>

</table>

<p>

And you don't want to mention recipes around me :-)

Well, I suppose thats OK then if you are a Brit, or is it? Are you sure you would stand your corner or run a f##king mile if a Frenchie demanded 'satisfaction'? Once upon a time disputing national or personal honour had consequences. It seems to me that the moderators on this forum have not only shot their pistols and missed, but have the dishonour to continue beating people with the butt to make their point.

"What would be "OT"? Recipes for pancakes..?"

On Black Thursday, Heather posted a recipe for Key Lime pie

that was unfortunately lost in a deleted thread. If she were to

repost it (!) that would be OT, but it would certainly help foster a

sense of community.

"If you have a question that's not about Leica, why would you want to post it in a Leica forum? If it's about photography, there's almost certainly a forum here on photo.net which is appropriate for it."

Bob, to answer your question, I would post a non-leica question on this forum because I'd like to see some responses. I'm also not trying to be smart, but if you post a question on other forums, you may get 1 or 2 replies, here you get considerably more. Also, being a habitual reader of this forum, I've grown to respect the opinions of certain people who actively participate here, and may not at the others.

I am interpreting rule number 3 regarding Leica compatible equipment as including the Nikon RF's.

The Nikon S series is derivitive of the Leica IIIc; the 51.7mm Focal Length is the reason for the incompatibility between it and the Contax; Nikon stuck to 51.7mm to be compatible with Leica; almost all Nikkor S series lenses are available in LTM; and the M series can use S-mount with RF coupling with an available adapter. i certainly will snag the latter for my M3 as soon as I come across one.

If this is not acceptable, than the moderators may intervene.

At least it is a question concerning cameras and photography of interest to at least one Leica photographer.

OT posts are very important for me and this community. I've come to know some people in my local community for "shoots". I've come to know the professions of many (high on the professional side, BTW). I've come to know where many people hail from. I've come to know where they matriculated. I've come to know many of their other hobbies and obsessions, I've come to know their politics based on service/sacrifice/fear for kin and lifelong experience much greater than mine even if I currently disagree, etc.

Filter this and the Leica forum dies a small death.

IMHO