Digilux 1 vs. PanasonicDMC-LC33

The Panasonic twin of the Digilux 1 is DMC-LC5 :

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/product/info.do?pg=04&hb=DMC-LC5

When they're launched, there was a price difference of approx USD 100 here in Hong

Kong, though I guess it's more or less level today as either has seen its peak.

Sources suggest that Leica optics for Panasonic d-cams are mfg in Japan. A non-

issue, since they are good enough to bear the Leica emblem :) FYI, Leica lenses on

Leica and Panasonic twins are identical.

Both pictures downloaded from respective websites.<div>006bL1-15434584.jpg.f769fe221b697f14d97b90c3ef57dced.jpg</div>

Incidentally, I'm certainly no expert, using none of the above, but i did note (in a discount office store) that there is a bigger brother to the lc33 -- I think the lc40 -- which jumps the resolution (same lens) to a 4 megapixel body (slightly differnet style). goodness, these styles and features cahnge every few months. It is a minor jolt to see a Leica lens marketed in a discount office supply chain -- maybe it will help them survive.

Panasonic is a part of the largest electronics manufacturer in the world, its a good thing Leica is playing buddies with someone.

Aside from the lens, the Digilux is basically an (imo uglier) version of the panasonic camera previously mentioned. same lens, and same innerds.

*Not* the same innards --- the same lens, but the Leica versions are different in terms of design/form factor, different in terms of the firmware, and different in terms of the total outfit. The Leicas typically come with larger capacity SD cards, an extra battery, and a better software bundle (i.e., Photoshop Elements).

Leica is sharing development costs with Panansonic (a good thing), and certainly making use of their electronics, but their versions are much better quality and have a great deal of value added which justifies the difference in price.

Jeffrey, perhaps you don't understand what I mean by innerds. That's the sensor, processing units, ADC and so on. Sure, they give you a different battery (why not to make things difficult) or a bigger memory card (its supposed to be a higher end camera), and different firmware (wouldn't be too good if it said panasonic now would it?). But the electronics on the inside are largely the same, because for the most part the camera is made by panasonic.

Why are you even looking at the Pannason... sorry Leica Digilux 1?

Leica digicams are inferior, overpriced offerings. Leica are just scamming consumers, trying to draw comparisions between the m-series and this camera.

Don't waste your time... your best bet is either a canon (s50 or g5) or a sony (v1). They cost less, have better image quality, software, electronics etc, etc.

If you want something wider than 35mm(equivalent focal length) go for the Nikon 5400 (but this camera does have some other drawbacks). The Minolta A1 and Sony 828 look good if you're willing to spend a little more and both have very good zoom lenses (the 828 looks to have an excellent Carl Zeiss T* zoom).

Right now the best consumer digi cams (P&S cameras) are coming from Canon and Olympus IMO. I'd suggest a look at what they're offering, the optics and overall image quality area always good given what you're paying for them. Also, they're generally quite user friendly with a good feature set and they are built well.