Commemorating 50th Anniversary of the Leica M

Look for two models to come out soon commemorating the 50th

Anniversary of the Leica M. The first is a solid titanium body with

three matching lenses (limited to 50 units). The second is an

anniversary body and one matching lens (I'm not aware of the quantity

of this one yet). Price? MAP of ~$25,000 and ~$15,000 (US)

respectively.

That's all I know right now. Stay tuned; details will follow...

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

the joys of CNC machining. i would like to see a wood-bodied M (bubinga is harder than zinc alloy), a lucite-bodied M, and a carbon fibre M.

as for these new special models, i hope they sell like hotcakes. anybody still using leica gear has to be desensitized to commemoratives at this point. and frankly this is, perhaps, a rare LEGITIMATE commemorative.

Anybody who'd be too antsy to risk dinging up their new 50th anniversary commemorative by themself should feel free to email me about making arrangements to have it done by an experienced Leica user! http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007Tjx

That's a recent pic of me with my 1958 button rewind M2. I'm really going to have to put a lot of effort into getting a brand new camera to look anything near what this one looks like, but for the right price I'll sure try! I'll have to charge extra for putting cleaning marks on the front element of the lens because today's lenses have such danged hard coatings. I guarantee that in a year's time you'll have a truly unique collectible, the ONLY 50th anniversary M on the planet that actually looks USED!

About a year or so ago I theorized that of course Leica would make a 50 year commemorative model and that if I wished to have one, I'd have to take out a second mortgage to get one.

How wrong could I have been. If the prices are correct, I'd have to sell the house!

Best,

Jerry