Digilux 2 review

beepy

<a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-digilux2-

part1.shtml">Just posted review of Digilux 2.</a>

<p>

Does a Diglux 2 count as a Leica for posting pics to N/NW? without fear of

denigration and belittlement in the Leica forum? This is a serious question.

<p>

If "yes", what about the soon to be available (hopefully at a lower price) Panasonic

twin?

<p>

I am seriously looking for a good ~6MP camera that does not have the boat anchor

effect of my Canon EOS 1Ds, produces superior captures, and is less frightening ("Are

you a professional photographer?") in less formal settings.

<p>

You know, a tad back there was a thread about a photog getting bugged when

shooting with a Leica lens - were you guys talking about that 800mm or so HUGE

LEICA LENS? I saw this at the store last week - I was flabbergasted. If I saw someone

shooting that on the street - jaded though I am - I too would stop and start asking

questions. The sales guy at the store must've thought I was nuts, I couldn't stop

laughing... at the thought that someone would be surprised at attracting attention.

Especially attached to a smallish camera body.

<p>

But I digress.

Thanks, Brian, for posting that link. My comment: the more I read from people who have actually used this camera, the more I get convinced that the almost unusable electronic viewfinder will prevent most Leica lovers from finding in the Digilux2 their first Digital M... too bad :-(

My local Leica dealer who is also a dear friend, went to the official unveiling of the D2, now refuses to sell me the camera. His reason? "I don't want to loose a good friend!". Nuf said.

I had mine (LC1) for 5 days and sold it today, the digital noise level is totally unaceptable for the high price they charged. If you tryin to purchase your camera in Hong Kong, beware to purchase from Wing Shing in Mongkok. They don't accept any return even I'm willng to lose some money and purchase some items which is higher in price. The staffs there just don't care. Swear to myself that I'll never buy anything from them again.

Brian, many of the Forums have an About section which gives the rules for participation. The Leica forum is very generous in that while Leica photos are preferred others in the "rangefinder" style are acceptable.

I'm a Leica M owner and love that camera but it too has its weaker points and idiosyncracies which once you're used to them become second nature. I had a brief tryout of the D2 at the Leica dealership and rather liked it. It offers a collection of unique features, produces very good images (I saw 8x10s that were satisfying) and fits a certain niche (street shooting with the advantages of digital and the advantages of manual) like no other camera currently available. The price of course is outlandish but in today's consumer society there are plenty of other things which sell well with outlandish prices. You either want its unique blend of qualities or you don't. If you do, you pay the price (if you can).

There was a post somewhere by a Leica rep who claimed the firmware and settings on the Leica were slightly different than on the Panasonic. I don't know if the Panasonic warranty has been disclosed yet and that might be difference factor too.

HI Ernie,

This probably will not make you feel any better, but isn't it true that most

places in HK (and indeed in Asia) do not deal in trade-ins or returns in the

American sense? I am not surprised that Wing Shing did not want to take the

camera back, but I believe the market practice is that once something is sold it

is deemed used, and if the shop in question does not deal in used gear, they

will not of course take it back. This may not apply if the equipment itself was

actually faulty, of course - but I would not have thought that after you used it

and found the noise unacceptable (to you), that they would agree it was faulty

in that sense

They just don't care in which sense I'm not satisfy, and they have no interested to look at the condition of the unit, packaging and etc. Their attitude is totally different while you're buying there. At any rate, I'm holding a EOS-10D + 16/35 in front of my, shot some indoor photos and found no matter sharpness, noise level, features which are way more superior than the LC1.

I think the best setup for quality pictures is still bring along your M camera plus a Minolta G500 / Canon type pocket digital in your bag.

• 4 weeks later...

All very interesting - maybe. I'm a professional photographer mainlining on DSLRs and for backup on the hoof have used Coolpixes, G2s, G5s etc...and now the DIGILUX 2.

There is a very good review of this camera at

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-digilux2-part1.shtml

and Part II is even more interesting and intelligent.

For the record, I agree with the reviewer. I find the Digilux 2 excellent in every way. The EVF needs getting used to, but M users should have no trouble as the exit lens is at the left hand edge of the camera as on the Ms and any competent M user is used to opening the left eye when necessary for extra vision etc.

The EVF is a small price to pay for the excellent continuous 100% viewfinder coverage from 28 to 90mm - far better than the non-existent Tr-Elmar for this range! Close-ups at 12" are excellent.

The Digilux 2 gives me a neutral colour balance similar to Kodak's EPN 100, it is fast to use, the optics are superb, the manual options on the 28-90/2-2.4 zoom make for quick focussing/zooming etc, and all-in-all it is far and away the best small digital camera I have ever encountered. You can review the picture you have just taken without moving the camera from your eye, autofocus is first class.

Above all, and leaving the nerdish pixel counting on one side, it is simple and accurate to use. Picture quality is better than the G5 but most important of all is that this is not an endlessly fiddly menu driven mobile phone. It is a real camera.

The results I get up to A4 are for all practical purposes as good as my DSLRs and I have used it on several jobs already. None of the commercial corporate clients have complained!

In short I urge potential buyers to go ahead. If you have any talent for making or taking photographs this camera will meet nearly all your needs. Ignore the nit-pickers! With the right care this camera will produce stunning results - I find that an ISO of 100, or a RAW file, will give me exhibition quality results without the need for a wheelbarrow to carry all the kit.

Enjoy!

John B