Carbon Fiber tripod - Slik 713 vs Gitzo 1127

jason_chen3

Hello,

I'm thinking to buy a light carbon fiber tripod. The Slik Pro 713 and

Gitzo G-1127 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport almost weigh the same (2.7 lbs)

and have close load (10 lbs). The Slik costs about $130 less at B&H

($250 vs $384). Is there any difference in the quality between these

2? I'm somehow under the impression that they are now even owned by

the same company (correct me if I'm wrong). Any reason to go for the

more expensive Gitzo?

thanks,

Jason

The Gitzo 1227 is one of the best non camera/lens photographic investments I've ever made. It is wonderful to carry it all day with a camera mounted (saves your back).

Not familiar with the Slik, but, I believe, the Gitzo's have a lifetime warranty (could be wrong, but worth checking).

Also, Gitzo's have some resale value...ever try to sell a no-name tripod? I have!!!

A few months ago, after reading everything I could find, posting a question on photo.net, and e-mailing questions to several other photographers, I bought a Gitzo 1127. I was hesitant to spend that much, but I'm glad I did: it's a superbly built unit. The pain of expenditure is short-lived, but the pain of poor quality isn't.

Jason, slik carbon fibers are expertly made. Yes, it's true Gitzo's are the cream of the crop and come with a lifetime warranty... but ask yourself how long you'll be doing this for. If its for life, or as long as you can imagine, go with the best. Afterall the #1 key to a sharp picture is, a tripod. =)

I personally would go with the Gitzo. And have on many occasions. But Bogen is nice as well.