Toronto Locations? (for Leica style shooting of course)

I am in Toronto on a shoot.

Any locals care to share a favorite location (or two)? I will be doing street shots and

will be on the lookout for nice indoor natural light (Diners, Noodle Shops etc...).

I just spent a couple of hours walking Yonge street and there seems to be lots of

possibilities.

Thanks,

jmp

Queen Street is great and also the kensington market area.

Baldwin might have some opportunities but there is an excellent little chinese bakery there so if there arn't any photo ops at least you'll get some good inexpensive food (that is if you like chinese).

good luck.

<<for Leica style shooting >>

Depends what you mean. For many people, the living room constitutes a location for Leica shooting, sometimes even the backyard. For still others, it's anyplace where the Sunday comics or a resolution chart can be taped to a wall.

Though this is my chosen city to live in, I have always considered Toronto a bore photographically, esp as I travel to Montreal regularly where interesting buildings and people are in every part of the city.

Yonge St to me is a bore. It's the longest small town shopping district in the world.

The treuly interesting parts are ethnic mostly.

1.Chinatown. Radiate out from the corner of Dundas and Spadina. Then take in Kensington Market which is right alongside.

2.Little Italy. Start at College and Bathhurst and walk West.

3.The Danforth, aka Greektown. Starts at Danforth and Broadview and extends eastward for about a mile. If you head South on Broadview you reach the other Chinatown.

4. Dundas and Ossington is an interesting corner, part of the rather large Portuguese neighbourhood. There are some cute ethnic shops, though the outdoor aspect is limited this time of year.

5.For a non-ethnic entry, the Beaches area, way East on Queen and Woodbine has some gorgeous woodframe homes, mostly renovated, and, of course, the lake, which is interesting this time of year. Dress warmly for that.

6. Parkdale, following Queen far West, is a lumpenproletariat low rent district. The buildings are interesting. Lots of South Asian faces on the street. In fact, a Queen St. streetcar ride from Parkdale to the Beaches, getting out whenever you feel inspired, might be all you'd need!

Good pix are everywhere of course, even on Yonge Street. Wherever there are people and an environment.

>Jay . Photo.net Hero, feb 01, 2004; 08:38 p.m.

<<for Leica style shooting >>

>Depends what you mean. For many people, the living room constitutes a location for Leica shooting, sometimes even the backyard. For still others, it's anyplace where the Sunday comics or a resolution chart can be taped to a wall.

Or down at the 'pro shop' which isn't a camera store at all--but a room at the country club where 14K Solms jewelry is proudly displayed...

:D

<<Or down at the 'pro shop' which isn't a camera store at all--but a room at the country club where 14K Solms jewelry is proudly displayed...>>

You're being facetious but Leica is actually opening just such places as part of their latest marketing plan. There's one open already in CA and I understand Rich Pinto will have one in NYC later this year.

>Jay . Photo.net Hero, feb 01, 2004; 09:57 p.m.

<<Or down at the 'pro shop' which isn't a camera store at all--but a room at the country club where 14K Solms jewelry is proudly displayed...>>

>You're being facetious but Leica is actually opening just such places as part of their latest marketing plan. There's one open already in CA and I understand Rich Pinto will have one in NYC later this year.

Yeah, I was. And, I've already seen the progress being made on the shop in Rich's place...

John

The Goths, including some "musicians" hang out along Queen Street from University west to west of Bathurst, as well as the grafitti festival wall at Queen & Portland.I agree that TO is quite a dull city compared to many others.

Many "Toffs" strut out of their Jags and Mercs along Yorkville Ave North of Bloor from Avenue Rd to Yonge - lots of fun shooting them.

Figuratively of course!!

Also, College and Spadina for some underbelly shots near the mental health centre, then go up to Jane and Finch if you feel really brave. If you survive there, you will have some interesting material.

Cheers EH?

Jane and Finch !! No don't go there, not unless you want to get in the way of a stray bullet !!!

This time of the year it's bloody freezin', so you can ride the subway (TTC) or walk around Toronto's underground shopping network called the P.A.T.H. start from Union station and head north. BCE place has an awesome looking ceiling.

The ice-rink at Nathan Phillips Square is pretty neat too ...

a good deal is an all day pass on the TTC, good for subway, bus, and streetcar, you can get one at any subway stop

Toronto, boring? hmm. .... I guess....as noted above, one with an extremely multicultural make up --- if you cant find anything to shoot, you could eat your way around the world...from A to Z.

photographically speaking....probably the best bet in one way is Quebec City and in another Vancouver (the city where the mountains come right down into town)

the least photogenic city I have ever been to, Houston, mmmmmmm tedious - except for the space center.

Try to find a Tim Horton's Doughnut/Coffee Shop - a true Canadian social site - although if memory serves, not so many downtown, more a midtown or fringes and burbs commercialosity

I am not sure, but you may be able to get across to the Toronto Islands this time of year, I never have.

The ferry to the island airport runs in the winter, I went over their last winter and other than being very cold it was not very interesting photographically. It must be possible to get over to the residential parts of the island but I never have, although I doubt if the normal fairy to the amusement park runs in the winter.

Get a TTC day pass as recommended. The Distillery at Front and Cherry(e. of St Lawrence Mkt)is worth a look. Kensington Market and College west of Spadina and/or Queen St west of Spadina are interesting--check out the "Communist's Daughter" and other bars/cafes on Queen W. Toronto Image Works--a half decent lab+film--is located on Spadina just north of King St on the west side, too.