120 film load in A24 magazine

howard_b

When I load 120 film into my 220 magazine, I know that I get erratic spacing and that I get

only 11 shots. No problem there. My issue is that the film does not always roll tightly.

When I took out my Ilford 400, for example, I found that it was slightly "puffy"-- that is,

not wound as it should be. When this happens, my only solution is to race to a dark place,

and try to keep the film tight enough until I make it to the lab.

I suspect there is a better way, or that I am doing something wrong, or that I really ought

to invest in another A12. Is this an Ilford issue (I haven't kept track, so I don't recall

whether Kodak or Fuji behaves badly as well).

Any insights are welcome.

Thanks - Howard Blumenthal

>>I suspect there is a better way, or that I am doing something wrong, or that I really ought to invest in another A12.<<

120 film backs are designed for the thickness of the film plus that of the backing paper. 220 film backs are designed for the thickness of the film, since the paper serves only as a leader and trailer, not as a backing. Because of this, you may experience focus issues when using 120 film in a 220 back.

Howard, et al...

Focus can't be problem, actually. The emulsion of the film, whether it's 120 or 220 sits

against the side rails of the back. This is what determines the film plane. By way of

exaggeration, you could put a thick piece of cardboard behind the film and wouldn't affect

the film plane. The pressure plate only helps hold the film flat AND against the side rails.

The backs are identical in everyway except the winding mechanism and counter assembly.

As far as looseness goes... I'd try using a different take up spool. The film is irrelevant but

the take-up spool isn't. This could also be a mechanical problem with the back. The film

isn't, under any circumstances, supposed to back up in the back. This would explain the

looseness you discribe.

Peter - PR Camera Repair - Flagstaff, AZ

Peter:

When you suggest a different take up reel, my options would seem to be Kodak, Fuji, or

Ilford take up reels (the remaining piece after the previous film itself unspools). Are you

thinking that I need a Fuji takeup for a new roll of Fuji film, etc.? This seems strange, as

though it's too specific.

Anybody else having this problem? Should it take it to Hasselblad USA?

Thanks again.

Howard

Howard-

Ilford spools are a measurably different diameter than the others. This would/could/may/

possibly take care of the "puffiness" that you describe. A larger diameter would cause

more film to be taken up every frame. Larger frame spacing as well. A smaller diameter

would cause less film to be taken up. It's just a variable that you have control of. You have

precious little control of these sorts of things short of take-up spool size. I hope this

makes sense. The detailed function of Hassy backs is not intuitively understood nor easily

explained. No other film winding function in camera history works like these backs.

A lot can go wrong with these backs. Everything from worn parts to notoriously bad

lubricants can cause all sorts of strange behavior. My guess is that it needs work. The

take-up spool thing is just something you have control of. Try it. It may help.

Peter:

Would the problem likely disappear if I used only 120 in my A12 back, and only 220 in my

A24 back? As it happens, I have one of each. Acknowledging all that you wrote about

spool diameters, and other issues, I wonder about this simpler solution.

Thanks for the help!

Howard

I'm all in favor of using the backs as designed!! This will tell you if you have a problem

with the backs or some other malady caused by mixing film sizes. If it works perfectly, we

know it's the longer, thinner film causing problems. If you still get slackness we know it's

the back needing maintenance.

I just figured you were dead set on using 220! Let me know what you find.