Suitable flash for MF/C645

patricks

I'm thinking I need to add a flash to the C645 I just picked up,

however, I haven't read much positive things about the Contax 360

flash gun. What are my alternatives?

I plan to use the flash mainly for people shots, and also I'm not a

pro so suggestions like multiple Pro-Photo boxes with umbrellas,

additional softboxes etc. are not an option.

I guess it depends upon how you want to artificially light your

images of people. If you are just looking for a bit of fill, virtually

any half decent flash gun (preferably with auto capability) will do

the trick. If you are looking for something more powerful (though

in my opinion not necessarily that much more useful) you could

consider one of those 'wedding photographer type' guns from

Metz.

Personally I take the view that if I'm going to the trouble of

shooting a portrait with medium format I will want to be very

careful with how I am going to use artificial light and that will

inevitably entail the use of at least a couple of proper strobes,

perhaps a softbox, etc. Why are strobes and umbrellas not an

option for you? Presumably you have acquired medium format

kit to take your photography to higher levels. In this context,

skimping on the lighting set-up seems to me to be a rather odd

thing to do.

Ian et al,

umbrellas etc. are certainly an option, however, I'm not at that point yet. I first want to learn the system well before investing in studio style equipment.

Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way - waiting for the the gear to arrive leaves too much time to think...

Patrick, the 360 is fine. It's an easy flash to use quickly. I once used a Metz MZ, but found

the controls to complex and finicky for faster paced work like weddings.

In fact, any strobe with decent power is fine. One with the ability to set manual power

steps lets you use the in-camera flash meter and control the output in any way you want.

I now use a Sunpack 120J with a Y/C TTL module. It's a bare bulb flash I use with a dome

diffuser. It's inexpensive, lighter than a potato masher, and allows a lot of control fast and

easy. It has manual controls that let you set it down to 1/16th power (fun to use to freeze

a drop of water or a bee's wings). I've used a 120j for over a decade with zero problems.

BTW, Contax makes a Potato masher type unit also.

I use the Contax TLA 360 (basically a Nikon sb-24)with no problems, mostly for quick fill-flash. For weddings I tend to use the Quantum T2 with the TTL adaptor, adding a second T2 when needed. The Sunpak unit Marc referral to is also super, less expensive, and doesn't need an external battery pack.

The C645's flash meter is also very handy if you eventually decide to get monolights down the road (on those days you forget the light meter at home).

I would recommend Metz. It`s a most flexible system one can choose, imho. Sunpak flashes do not have a reputation of quite reliable ones.

You can get a new 54mz flash or older 40mz3i - I use last one and quite happy with it. Plus you`ll be able to use 60ct4 or 45cl flashguns if needed - get 60ct4 and attach a litle softbox on it - I bet you`ll like the results!

Speaking about umbrellas and studio strobes - you may find it surprisingly affordable and easy to use with Contax.

You can look at basic sets from SPstudio or something like that.

No one single flash wil give you same light as 3 strobes with umbrellas or softboxes and all this stuff fits into one portable bag just fine.

With Contax TTL preflash mode you don`t even need a flashmeter on location (what is recommended to have of course). I also tested if Contax will work in TTL mode with combination of Metz flash on hot shoe plus studio strobes on optical slave - looked like it worked quite well.

Say, it`s not that complicated as it seems.