Yashica rangefinder users? GSN,etc?

Discovered these make pretty good pictures!

So now I have to have a few of them. I got a

GSN I cleaned and replaced the light seals and

this week got a black GT with hood, manual and

the accessory lenses. Need seals too but not a

problem, they are easy to work with. Oh got a

dead GSN for parts too. I normally dont shoot

print film but loaded some Fuji 200 in the GSN

on an overcast day. Wow, nice colors, smooth

is the only way I can describe the look like it

was slightly polarized. Sharp to the edge of the

frame too. Handholding is a breeze

into the slow shutter speeds. Meter is accurate

enough for slide film too. I have found about

7 more of these locally, may have to add to the

collection! Who else uses them here?

I have a mint GSN that looks like it is straight out of the box. I bought it about a year ago I guess. It came with the wide and telephoto lenses and viewfinder. They are basically worthless. I have used the camera alot and I am very happy with the results. I know what you mean about the smoothness. I have been using it alot for portraits and candid shoots at parties, cookouts, etc. I recently took it to Michigan to visit family and got some really great candids. It's also a very quite camera and would be great for street photography. I use mainly Tri-X in it but I have been impressed with Kodak TCN (C41) as well.

I see you have a growing collection. We Yashica rangefinder users know where to go for parts now. :)

Bye the way, have you any experience with the Electro CC? I have been considering getting one but they are going anywhere from $150 to $200 now. It looks like a great camera though.

Jim.

These are great cameras, although years ago I sold mine and got a Canon QL-17 GIII because it has a slightly wider lens (40mm 1.7) than Yashicas (45mm). Also I used up the battery on my Yashica and the camera won't work without one.

Thanks for the responses people...to the one person who thought

I outbid them on Ebay, nope not me as you see I have a good local

supply. To the other person who could not find a battery a 28A

and number 83 conical spring work just fine and costs about $4. Camera has circuitry to bring it down from 6 to 5.6 volts like the old mercury battery.

Then to the person asking about the Electro CC...I have seen one.

It is at a camera store where I got my GT this week..Working condition

with battery and owners manual for $50..I thought about getting it

but I did not like it enough. Guess I could Ebay it and put the

money into more GSN's!

The Yashica lenses are very good and the cameras are nicely designed and built but the viewfinder just doesn't work for me. I had a nice GT-E but it had to go in the end because I simply couldn't focus it properly - nothing wrong with the rangefinder, just its interaction with my eyes.

Hi, This is my first post. I've been lurking waiting for a thread that I could make

a contribution to. I thought that I was the only Yashica rangefinder user/

collector in the world besides The Yashica Guy. I regularly use the CC, GL

and a Lynx 14. I prefer the control of the Lynx but it's a bit of a brick to carry

around all day. The CC and GL are just a pleasure for street photography with

very good meters and sharp lenses.

I got myself a minty GSN a short while ago and was indeed very impressed with the results : very sharp, very high contrast and splendid colour (Fuji Superia 200). The Gear Acquisition Syndrome now makes me want a GTN or a GL (hard to find and expensive I hear). Perhaps also a Lynx IC 14E.

In fact I am so satisfied with the GSN's results that I decided to sell my Retina IIIS, Automatic III and Retinette IIb. The Yashica's results are far better, perhaps equal to those of my Nikon gear...

I am a bit less impressed with the ergonomics of the controls around the lens though, and also with the viewfinder. The VF is bright, but for my taste too wide around the brightline frame - I tend to forget that not everything I see in the VF will be recorded.

</blockquote><i>Bye the way, have you any experience with the Electro CC? I have been considering getting one but they are going anywhere from $150 to $200 now. It looks like a great camera though. <p>Jim.</i></blockquote><p>

I've two GSNs and a CC. The CC shutter feel is not as nice as the GSN - but the smaller size makes up for it. My main complaint of the CC is that the ISO setting stops at 400 - I'm looking at hot-rodding mine (by changing the shutter discharge circuit to drop 3 stops) to run to 3200. Which would be much more useful. <p> It's not at the top of my intray, so don't hold your breath. IIRC, it <i>should</i> just be a simple resistor change.

<p>

CD

Well last week I got a GT locally. Today I went to another camera

shop I dont go to very much..went there to get a Yashica lens cap

for the GT. He had it for $2...looked at his used shelf...a mint

GTN and GSN. These were on consignment for $40 each...They both

had the Yashica Guy adapters in them! They looked brand new! The

GTN even had the protector piece over the hotshoe. The shop owner

said the customer had them gone thru by Mark Hama of Yashica fame

(he lives nearby)last year...The GSN came with a big rectangle hood

for a Konica camera and a uv filter. Both cameras are perfect!

I took the other GT hood and put it on the GTN...

he let me have them for $35 each and thru in the lens cap!

Made my day!

Now have 1 GTN,1 GT,3 GSN.

Yes, another weak point of the 35CC is that the max. shutter speed is 1/250 only. So if you have loaded your camera with 200ASA film you will have to leave the aperture closed to f/16 in sunlight to avoid overexposure.

BTW, I have the complete line of the 35Electro series (from a very early Electro35 non-G with a white badge and four bottom screws to the 35GX, only the 35MC is missing still) and have used almost all of them - mostly with excellent results. Fortunately most of the 35Electros still used DOF scales when most other compact camera manufacturers had dropped this feature.

Like I've stated earlier in another thread, I've just got hold of an Yashica Lynx 14E IC. Big & beautiful camera. Have tried it with TRI-X and Provia 400F - seems to expose slide film correctly, although it's often impossible to see the over/under-lights in daylight, much better indoors. If any one have a solution to the "meter-flare"-problem, please chip in.

I always thought the electro 35cc were the one to get, but from what I've read these past days it seems like the 35 GX is the better camera, but it's a moot point as long as I can't find any locally (think I'm starting to get hooked on the Yashica RF's, oh well...)

Hi,

A little correction: someone commented about the GSN needing a battery, yes only if using the meter. But without the battery the GSN is suppose to set a default shutter speed of 1/500. Which works great with 400 ISO and the Sunny 16 rule. (Correct me if I am wrong) But the camera CAN be used manually without a battery!

Amol