Are LaCie and Mitsubishi monitors the same?

I understand from this forum that LaCie monitors use the same

technology as Mitsubishi but LaCie pays more attention to the quality

of the tube. Two questions: 1. Is this true? 2. How does LaCie

work with photographic images? Do they look natural, etc. Any

differences between Mitsubishi and LaCie?

Have not seen the Mitsubishi, but I bought the Lacie 22 inch a few weeks ago and the image is absolutely stunning. It is also easier to WYSIWYG on the printer (i.e. I'm not so much concerned with saturation, contrast and so on, as long as the print resembles the screen as closely as possible). The Lacie 22' is to be had for around $600 new, which is IMHO an excellent deal. (It is a large and heavy beast, though)

Mark

Last I heard, NEC/Mitsubishi manufactures monitors for LaCie. I spent half a lifetime in manufacturing - I very seriously doubt that the tubes are different. I've used both, and they seem identical to me. I bought an NEC last time I bought a monitor. It was less money that the comparable LaCie. Of course, YMMV. Either way you go, monitor quality is *very* good.

I bought the LaCie EB IV 19" about a month ago and agree with the other posts about its quality. Sorry I haven't used the NEC/Mitsubishi, however, I also saw a number of posts that they're the same.

I paid $300 at Provantage, which is somewhat more than the NEC model for 3 reasons. First, many people indicated that LaCie customer service was first rate, a far second, it comes with a hood. That really makes a difference in how light falls on the screen, & while I could have bought or made a hood this lessened the hassel. Way farther down third reason, is I like the color of the case.

I did have to call customer service when I first got the monitor, & they were first rate. Didn't have to hold on for 3 hours to get a human, & they were friendly & helpful. Not a knock on the NEC/Mitsubishi folks, I just didn't see any comments on how their CS operated. They may be equally as good.

IMO, you can't go wrong either way. It's a great monitor

Mitsubishi/NEC continues to manufacture the LaCie monitors. No idea if there's extra quality control.

I'd put a heavy factor in of what I could buy at a local bricks and mortar store. Monitors are fragile. They are expensive to ship. They have non-zero damaged-on-arrival rates.

That's why I wound up with the LaCie electron22blueIII. It was the only desktop-publishing grade monitor I could find, at the local MicroCenter, in the Macintosh department. It is really excellent, but the equivalent Mitsubishi also got glowing reviews...