JWM : (Join With Me) Blur ! Blur ! Blur !

kamol_.

Kamol, this is really over the top. Blurs have to have their own rational for being blurs. Check out the work of Ernest Haas. But I'm glad you posted this. There are some interesting pictures in this thread.

PnS Digicam's "passenger" shots are a definate inspiration.

Meanwhile here is a blur shot. I used either my Bessa T 101 with Pentax 43/1.9 or my Leica M6 TTL with 'cron 50/2. This is Nice, December, 2002.<div>006YCT-15367084.jpg.37506e1498a5fba8ae857d58d3e58cc6.jpg</div>

kamol this is embarrassing. These people were patiently posing, waiting for ages for you to get finally ready with the buttons and handles on your m6 and the rings on your ASPH instead of just doing ZAP with a digi p&s, and all you come up with is THIS...

Hi Kamol<P>

You're obviously having fun with your camera, which is great, but....<P>

Like others have said, you have not used selective focus to advantage here. I've been

intrigued with some local student photos that were very creative. One in particular,

used selective focus to throw the foreground out of focus and have the background in

focus. Ordinarily that would yield a visually unpleasing result, but what made this

photo work was that there was (a) considerable distance between the foreground

object and background object and (b) there was no subject matter between the

foreground and background- i.e. a void. This added a very nice dimensional effect to

the photo. I've been on the lookout for similar situations to try it out myself.

Kamol,<br><br>

I don't think there is anything such as 'too much'. You try it if you like it. <br><br>

I think most people here (or any other photography related board in the world) are so used to the conventional qualities of a photograph that they can't accept different styles. <br><br>

For those who need reference on intentional blurring without selective focusing, look for the following names: Hiroshi Sugimoto (Architecture series), Uta Barth (Interiors), and Bill Armstrong.

They are people who are well respected and use intentional blurring every now and then.<br><br>

Keep it up. At least you are trying something different unlike most other people in the world. And one more thing. Only becasue you own a Leica doesn't mean you have to take sharp pictures all the time.

I'm actually surprised at all the prescriptive comments here, the "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts". Some blurred images work, for whatever reason. They either have a dreamlike quality or they indicate motion, sometimes a fearful quality. Jordi V. Pou, an M6 user has one of a big truck on a US highway in the rain. Not only blurred but off-level. It's a very effective image. I think Kamol's image works on the "silly" level. Maybe he gave it to the couple, framed, and they had a good laugh! Here's one from last month that I like a lot.<div>006YaT-15372984.jpg.d1fa0292e42d773771db12db57161ffc.jpg</div>