Canon EOS - Which to buy?

rmillard

I would prefer the EOS3 (which I owned for many years) for the newer technology. If you can find/afford a used 1v even better :)

The EOS3 was/is an historic model in that it introduced the best AF and metering system made by Canon. That system is still implemented today in the 1D and 1Ds as well as the 1v (without Eye control, of course).

The camera is very well built and it is pure joy to use! At the same time as the EOS3 Canon introduced the 550EX flash system, which is still the best system anywhere, imo. So, you should pick up one of those as well.

You can find EOS3 on sale for around $450-550, depending on condition.

I went digital and that is the only reason I sold mine.

I've owned both. (I recently sold the EOS 1n.) The pros for the

EOS 1n are robust build quality and availability at lower prices of

earlier-version accessories that, while many will work with the

later film bodies, the EOS 3 and EOS 1v, are not fully forward

compatible or do not have the latest technologies. For example,

the EOS 1n does not support E-TTL flash.

The pros for the EOS 3 are support of latest technologies and

accessories for example E-TTL , 45-point autofocus area, latest

version Power Drive Booster the PB-E2, latest version remote

switches, etc. Latest version accessories you might acquire for

the EOS 3 would be fully compatible with the EOS 1v, but not

necessarily with the EOS 1n. The EOS 3 has eye-controlled

focusing which in my experience is sometimes a pro,

sometimes a con. Also, the EOS 3 body is not as robust as the

EOS 1n.

So, aside from what the used prices might be, I think the tradeoff

is body build quality vs. support of latest technology, tempered by

where you see your photography going, i.e., do you see yourself

staying with film, acquiring an EOS 1v, etc.

Hi Robert,

Your question is pretty broad and you haven't given us much info to work with. While both bodies are very good choices, one or the other may be better for your shooting needs and situation.

In summary the EOS 3 is more "feature" oriented, the EOS 3 has many interesting tricks it can do where the EOS 1n is more streamlined and elegent in design, form and function. The EOS 3 is a lightweight, plastic fantastic body, good meter, fast AF and AF tracking, 45 eye controled AF points etc. The EOS 1n is a professional weight body (old school, heavy), with proven bomb-proof construction and sealing. Simple 5 point AF and reliable matrix metering with fast AF and AF tracking. There are no "trick" features no bells or whistles except good ergonomic design and incredibly solid build level.

Cheers

Hi Robert,

In reply to Whayne's high regard for the EOS 3 let me say that many pros I know and shoot with place little or no value on the features that make the EOS 3 unique. Don't get me wrong, there were many pros shooting with EOS 3 bodies when they came out but most I know have moved up to the EOS 1V or EOS 1D because there was nothing to keep them in the EOS 3.

Of course my perspective is from a sports shooter's outlook and I tend to value responsive, reliable, bulletproof gear with the least amount of stuff to get in the way of shooting. Many photographers I work with are of the same opinion, simple is better. Fewer options means less time to confirm that the body is set the way it needs to be and ready to shoot. Years ago I used to own several EOS 5QD bodies but while ECF was interesting, mostly it was obtrusive and slow so I turned it off and never used it again. This is very similar to what I found with the EOS 3 body. It's also why many sports shooters sold their EOS 3's or never bought them after borrowing an EOS 3 from CPS for demo.

I can say that having been a working pro (though my day job has changed), and still working as a photographer part time (people still pay me to shoot), I DO like the 45AF point system as implemented in the EOS 1V and EOS 1D I own. For a sports or PJ shooter this is the bomb, for anyone else overkill. My favorite EOS film body is still the original EOS 1 for anything that is not moving faster than a human can run, for anything else the EOS 1V or EOS 1D is what I reach for. But I tend to be old school and prefer the pure cameras like EOS 1, M6, etc.

Cheers

I've owned the 1V, the 1N and the 3. Well still own the 1V and the 3. If you need a warhorse that can take a pounding and keeps on tickin, get the 1N. If you want the best in terms of technology, exposure control, focus control etc, get the 3. If you want the best of both worlds, get the 1V.

If i could choose one of the 3 cameras to purchase and was on a budget, i'd get the 3. It's the best value.

Thanks to all who so far have contributed a response to my query. A little more info. I've been a Nikon user for a long time: some manual focus Nikons, but mostly the F100 which I love. I have recently purchased a D60 Canon and thought, since I'm going to now have more Canon lenses, I'd like to have a AF, film body as well. I'm not a pro photographer, but am fairly experienced. I shoot "Arty" pictures, and also do set ups (toys, staged scenes), and, of course with a child, a lot of "catch the moving target" snapshots. What has always impressed me about the F100 is its ruggedness, its fast AF, its ease of use, and its almost always spot-on metering. So I'm looking for the Canon version of the F100. Hope that clarifies a little.

The EOS 3 is not metal or plastic. It's made from Polycarbonate which is closer to plastic than metal, but is extremely strong. The mirror box and innards are made from diecast aluminum. Thanks to all for the posts. I've decided on the EOS 3. After so many years of Nikon, I hope it was the right choice.