Wimberly Tripod head question

scott_fairbairn

I am going to pick up this tripod head in the near future and I was

wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to which manufacturer of Arca

Swiss quick release mounting hardware you would recommend? Wimberly

offer an adapting plate, as do Kirk Enterprises and LL Rue, is there

any difference in terms of quality, etc.??

thanks

If you are buying the head from Wemberley, why not buy the plate. I did. It is just mental masturbation to find which is better. They are all good. You have to do your part which is to take the photos after you put the gear together. You can mix and match all you want. I have used all. All work. Some have rounded corners, I like that better. It makes it slightly faster th change. Not enough to worry about though.

I am not concerned with the plate that attaches to the lense. From what I understand you buy the tripod head, then you must buy the "Swiss mounting rail" or whatever you call it, which is screwed onto the tripod head. THEN, your lens plates slide into this mounting hardware. Sorry for not being more explicit, I realize the difference in plates to attach individual lenses is minimal. I am just wondering if the rail that holds the plates is of better quality from one supplier to another. thanks

I just got some plates from Really Right Stuff for my bodies and a Arca Swiss style Quick Release for my monopod. The price was less than Kirk and the product was in my hand three working days. The qulaity is more than fine.

Request a catalog from them: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ It outlines the pros and cons of their gear as well as prices and what you need.

What ever you get make sure that the head can take an Arca Swiss style clamp.

Hi Scott, Here's the scoop: I currently have a Kirk clamp on my Wimberley,and have had itfor many years. Wimberley used to get the clamps from Kirk. Really Right Stuff has always offered a quality clamp for the Wimberley, but it required that a second hole be drilled to prevent the clamp from rotating as there was only ONE bolt. The Kirk has two bolts. Things changed last FEB when I personally saw a brand new,right-out-of-the box Kirk clamp FAIL totally. The hole that accepts the screw that tightens the jaws stripped. Fortunately, John DiGorgio's brand new 600 IS did NOT hit the ground. After relaying this tidbit to David and Clay Wimberley, they decided to design and manufacture there own clamp which is now available. (I do not know which clamp Rue is selling, but it almost is surely one of the above. Just for the record books, I have a new Wimberley clamp of my own but have not replaced my Kirk clamp mostly because I am too lazy and my Kirk clamp has served me well for years. But I do plan on switching as at times recently I have had trouble loosening the jaws thatI had only hand-tightened previously. Please note that BIRDS AS ART is now a Wimberley dealer. Units are available with the Wimberley clamp for $571.50, or without for $471.50. There would be extra shipping charges to Cananda. At this moment we have two in stock. Best of luck whatever you decide. And great picture making. Arthur Morris

Get the clamp from Wimberly. It is longer than most and can be fastened to the head with 3 screws if you want. It also has a new design with will prevent (with a yet-to-be-produced plate) the plate from sliding out of the clamp even if the clamp is slightly loose. Having had a major disaster when my camera body/500 mm lens/teleconverter fell out, I am really looking forward to the production of the new plate.

The Wimberly quick release is the better option. I have used Kirk Enterprise plates in the past but have found Really Right Stuff to be the better fit and workmanship. RRS can be quirky but they are the best. Kirk is a close second.

BUT Kirk's King Cobra head is lousy despite its better looks. At least the one I tried. It did not lock down solid without massive amounts of downward creep. The Wimberly's, including the Sidekick (which I also like a lot), doesn't creep at all. The photographer that had just received the King Cobra wasn't real happy after trying my Wimberly sidekick which had a heavier lens attached to it. If you don't use your tripod/long lens combo exclusively the Sidekick, despite some shortcomings, may be the better option.

• 2 weeks later...