Your ultimate Leica outfit - no restrictions

david_killick9

Removing the restriction of reality, my ultimate Leica RF kit would be the M9 TTL/AE with flash sync to 1/250, zoom finder and interchangable film magazine backs, supplemented with the M9D 10 megapixel digital back, and the usual array of lenses. ;-)

But, if "hypothetical" doesn't take us to Phantasy Land, I'm happy with what I've got - two M6TTLs (one black, one chrome; both 0.72), a 24mm Elmarit-M, 35mm 'Cron, 50mm 'Cron, 50mm DR for quasi close-ups, 50mm Nocti, 75mm 'Lux, 90mm Elmarit-M, and the E55 version of the 135mm f/2.8. I hate the 1/50 sync speed for the few times that I want flash fill, but that's reality. I don't really need AE, so the M7 has no substantial appeal to me, nor does the MP with its retro design.

Starting out back in the early forties with a III and 50mm Elmar, my next ambition was a 90. By the time I could afford it � after the war � I had to settle for the 90 Velostigmat, and the later to the 127 Velo. Of course I coveted one each of just about everything Leica offered after the war, but then the original outfit was stolen. Starting over again with a used IIIa and another ancient Elmar 50 I made do and probably that era produce my all time best photos. Then in the late fifties I got the expansion fever again, bought a M2 with Leicavit, 35 Summicron, and then embarked upon a quest that eventually included 28 Elmarit, 35, 40, & 50 Summicrons, 90 Elmarit, and 135 Elmar. The Visoflex bug bit and I wound up with both the I & II, a 125 Hektor, 200 & 280 Telyts, and a an adapted Takumar 500/4.5. (Most all this stuff was used, horse traded or distressed). The Boowu came next and then the Belun and Behoo. Fortunately I never got bit by the SLR demon so that saved me a lot of agony as well as cash. Unfortunately I began to run out of time so by the time I reached the biblical age of four score, I had reduced the battery to the M6, 40c Summicron, 90c Elmar, and 135 Elmarit which I hoped would last me the rest of my days. Unfortunately it didn't. A couple of months ago I got an Olympus 5050 that I am still trying to figure out how to operate. . . Anyone coveting the M6 outfit will have to wait until my will is probated.

What an eclectic choice, from the minimalist to the esoteric to the

downright sybaritic (Frank). Or phantastical (Ralph). And good to

see Douglas's vote for the SL, from which he produces superb

results. Just as well there is so much Leica gear out there for

Santa's sack! All M bodies seem to rate highly, but interesting to

note more votes for the wider lenses. The 35 1.4 Lux asph

seems particularly sought after. Thanks for your input.

• 1 year later...
I'm using a Leica M6 TTL Titanium (extremely durable finish) with a 2.8/21 asph, 2.8/28 (not the latest version), 2/50 and 2/90 Apo Asph. My R-System consists of a R7, R8 and R9 together with a 3.5-4/21-35 asph., 4/35-70 (asph), 2.8/70-180 Apo, 2.8/100 Apo Macro, 2.8/280 Apo + 1.4x Apo-Extender + 2x-Apo Extender. All of these lenses are perfect pieces of engineering. A perfect "budget" system for the M would be M6 classic + 2/35 asph + 2.8/90 (latest version, perfect !! and lightweight). For the R, it would be a R8 + 21-35 asp, 2/50 and 4/80-200. Or 28/2.8, 2/50, 2.8/100 Apo and the 3.4/180 Apo-Telyt. I also have experienced the M6 classic, M 2.8/90, R 2.8/35, R 2.8/24, R 1.4/50, R 4/80-200, R 3,4/180, R 2/90 and the R 2,8/135. Contrast and sharpness on the new zooms 4/35-70, 21-35 and 4/80-200 is stunning !

• 2 years later...

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for postng it.<P>It's amazng that

most posters seem to already have virtually their ideal Leica setup (plus or

minus a couple of items). Essentially one or two bodies with four lenses

seems to satisfy most.<P>Personally, I've pretty much given up on Leica,

replacing them with Pentax LXs for film and almost entirely shooting digital for

the last three years<P>However away from home, for emergency backup I still

pack my Leica CL with 40mm Sumicron and 90mm Tele-Elmarit..