ideas, based on experience and also positive comments from

members of this forum: M3, MP, M7, SL? Some also love the III

series. Lenses: 24asph, 35 f/1.4asph, latest 50 (or old 50DR?),

90 f/2asp, new f/4 macro. But that leaves out the SLR. All Leicas

are expensive. But which cameras and lenses are truly worth

paying top dollars for?:

Feeling: MP with Summicron-m 50 mm f/2

Using: Konica Hexar RF with Summicron-m 50 mm f/2

+ "ever ready case" + yellow-green/orange/red B+W filters.

(If I have to choose a Leica - M7)

I have just done this evaluation myself - so I am very sure in my choice. The whole point of having a RF for me is mobility - and the no-mirror part is part of that...enabling me to use the camera without a tripod. A one lens solution also suits me fine. (BTW - I am trilled with the results from my Hexanon 50 lens...so I have no real wish for the mentioned lens. 2.0s are sharper and lighter than their faster alternatives.)

I'll keep my M6 TTL. I don't want a classic and I don't (yet) want or need an M7. My next bodies would start off with an M3 or one of the M4s (one of the many advantages here being a self-timer. Then I'd go for a IIIf or g (not sure yet which one). Wouldn't mind trying out a 24, old 35 (re "bokeh"). No interest in a 1.4/75 or a 2/90 any more. Or a 135 yet. Maybe when I'm 65 I'll have the money, but then I'm probably also blind ;-)

Hypothetical? Well, I'm not 65, do have the money and have all the Leica gear I want

and/or need (thanks to wedding gigs). So, hypothetically speaking, experience tells

me a couple of M7s with 3 or 4 lenses will get just about any rangefinder job done:

24mm, 35/1.4, 75/1.4, 135/3.5 (optional)...or 28/2, 50/1.4, 90/2, 135/3.5

(optional). If not doing weddings with a M, then I would probably just use a MP 0.85

with a 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 strictly for available light, personal work.

No Leica SLR interests me any longer.

I am 65+ and my perfect Leica outfit is my M5, 24/28, 50, 90 tele- Elmar and the 135(sometimes)for outdoors. Available light; 35, 50, 75 and ,of course, my M5s. If there had to be a limitation yo one lens, then, the 50 would be it. That is the choice of my generation.

A compact one-camera three-lens outfit for me would be the one I've had for over 30 years. M2, MR4 meter, 35 Summaron, 50 Summicron and 90 Tele Elmarit (fat chrome). The M2 and meter fit in one ER case, the 35 and 90, coupled back to back, fit into another Leitz lens case. This outfit will bring home the photos - no need to go overboard with the latest most expensive gear.

Out of 6 M's and 13 lenses, here's what went with me for a walk in the woods last weekend: One M6TTL with 0.58 finder; 28mm Summicron; 35mm Summilux ASPH; 50mm tabbed Summicron; 90mm tele-Elmarit. It all fits in a Domke F-5XB bag.

That outfit is ideal for a minimal configuration. When carrying more, I will take two additional M's: an M6 classic with 0.72 finder, and either my M2 or M4-P. That helps to minimize lens-changing. I might like to buy a 24mm Elmarit ASPH, because it is the world's best 24mm, AFAIK. My 21mm is a little bit too wide (just a little bit) and doesn't get used much. The 28mm is wide enough for almost everything. My least used M is an M3. If I buy another Leica, it will be an MP.