Visoflex

The Visoflex I needs a double cable release. It's rather long as well. The Viso II is shorter, and to use Viso specific lenses, you need an adapter to take up the extra space. But you don't need the double cable release. The Viso III is taller than the II, so I think it can be used with the M5, which the II clearly can't, at least with the eye level finder. And the III also has an instant return mirror. The mirror in the II has to be raised after an exposure.

You cna use any M lens with the Visoflex, but they won't focus to infinity, except for a few older long-focus lenses with removeable mounts. They are designed to be used with the mount when mounted directly on a camera, and without the mount when used on a Visoflex.

At least one lens is for use on the Visoflex only, the 65mmmf:3.5 Elmar. It's a terrific lens, and can be used either with a helical focusing mount on the Visoflex, or on the bellows which is then mounted on the Visoflex. With the bellows you can get pretty high magnification.

PJW

Joe, look for a Visoflex III. It has several advantages over the I and II. It's a bit more cumbersome to use than an SLR, but works very well for those willing to give it a try. The 65mm Elmar is an excellent macro lens and can be used either with the Bellows II or the focusing mount 16464. The normal M lenses can be used with the adapter ring 16596 on the Bellows II for close up work, although you can get better than 1:1 with the 65mm Elmar on the Bellows II.

I haven't used the R macros, but my results with an M2, Visoflex III, Bellows II and 65mm Elmar are excellent. When you get down to the magnification range of 1:1 you focus by changing the lens to subject distance rather than changing the lens to film plane distance. The Bellows II can do this, or you can use an SLR on a focusing rail on the tripod. Good luck.

You can get down to magnifications much higher than the 90 [non]-Macro simply by attaching a 135, 90 or 50mm lens straight to a Visoflex II or III, and have zero framing inaccuracy to boot, for about $100 in the case of a mint Viso-II. Add one OUFRO extension tube to any 50 and it's 1:1.

Walther Benser had Leitz modify a Hektor 125mm f/2.5 projection lens with an aperture diaphragm and screw mount for the Viso I. It will focus to infinity in that configuration. It was moderately popular with Leica afficionados back in the '50s. It was not especially sharp wide open, but considered a good portrait lens.