Fall foliage in Norway

alpshiker

Thanks, Knut-Sverre. So the season is quite early up there! Is the date of 10th of september the peak of the season and how long would it last after that date? I know Norway extends on a broad territory from south to north, so I guess the date is for the places you mentioned. Hopefully, I will go there next year, so I am planning ahead!

The last years the best colours i Rondane NP has been around the 20th of september. It is some variation from year to year. This year the leaves in the Gudbrandsdalen valley ( between Rondane NP and Jotunheimen NP) were still green the 22th of september, and the 15 min drive to Rondane NP revealed peak-colours there. In Jotunheimen NP the wind had taken it all, but in Nordøsterdalen ( eastern valley) it was still fantastic the 25th of september. Based on my experience the latest years I would plan my trip for the eastern part of southern Norway to 17 - 27 of september. I second Knut Sverre: Rondane NP is usually very beautiful, Dovre NP is also very colorful, less than one hour drive from Rondane - and with the special Moskus animal.

These two Nl Parks being not too far north, they seem a good place to go to me. Could you also suggest some pretty lakes in that area, or lakes that still have a natural look? There are so many of them on the map! And what is a Moskus? You excited my curiosity there! Thanks.

Hi Paul

There are plenty of lakes. A good idea as Knut Sverre suggests is to contact Biofoto some weeks before you go. Even if there is no workshop, there are plenty of naturephotographers who travel from Oslo to the mountain regions in september. The chances are big that you can join some of us.

A moskus is an animal a bit smaller than a bison. It was extinct from Europe some thousand years ago, but survived in Greenland. In the twenties it was reintroduced to Norway, and there is about 100 animals living wild in the Dovre mountains.

With some luck and care you can get nice shots of them.

Also in the same area there chances for raindeers ( if you travel 2 hours further BIG chances) and moose.

Pål Brenne

"Moskus" oh, of course! musk ox. That's a surprise! I thought the only place to see them was the arctic regions of Canada. They must fit into the norvegian landscape very well! Thanks for the link and tips on nature photo clubs. I will do some search on the internet when time permits to know a little more on the places you have mentioned. Enjoy your norvegian autumn! Paul (from Switzerland)