Need some Jobo-help

shotz

The 2509N reel do not take smaller format than european 6.5 x 9 cm (in addition to 9x12cm and 4"x5") as I recall, so You will have to find things out for yourself for this one. One option possible if you use a gentle rotating JOBO & stiff/thick base sheet film is to simply slide the 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" film in the JOBO reel adjusted for slightly less than 120/220 film size. I have done that way back in the past, using strong plastic tape to arrest the sliding part half of the reel to correct distance. Only putting a few sheets in each reel worked OK with stiff sheet film as the outwards tension & thickness of sheets prevented the sheets sliding on top of each other during developement, however, I got trouble doing the same thing with sheets cut from (thin base) 120 film. It is a possible option, but if You are doing b & w - it's way easier to find a number of stainless steel frames (common & inexpensive as they are not used anymore, not 4"x5"...) & develope traditional way.. I used the JOBO approach for E6, would not make the fuss for b & w as reels had to be dismounted & cleaned + the retaped for each developement to avoid cntamination (trapped in the groove of the reel inside tape-winding).

For whatever it's worth, I normally process my 9x12 cm film in tubes inside a Nikor 4x5/dual-220 tank (which, unfortunately, didn't include the 4x5 cage). With inch-and-a-half ABS pipe, I can get three tubes in (with more than a liter of chemical required to cover a 4x5 if I loaded such). For 2x3 format film, you could do the same with 3/4" PVC, CPVC, or ABS pipe (hard to find ABS this small, though) and fit 7 of them in a regular daylight tank that holds 120 film; that's about 80% of the film area of a 120 roll. Cut the tubes so they just move endwise with the lid on the tank, deburr them carefully (especially on the inside) and save the Jobo for stuff that won't fit in the small tank. Load film by curling it emulsion in and slipping into the tube; given that 3/4" pipe is just over 1" inside diameter, you should be able to neatly fit the wide dimension running around the tube.

Bonus: with this method, you can use intermittent agitation or stand development, if you choose, with the same 500 or so mL of fluid you'd normally use; with the Jobo, you have to use inversion quantities (more than a liter) instead of rotary quantities if you want to use these development processes (or hand inversion).

• 4 weeks later...

The Jobo 3000 series drums will take most any size of sheet film.

Their 4x5 drum will probably be the best fit. It holds 5 sheets IIRC in one run.

The drums are heavy and aren't recommended with early model Jobo processors, but with care they can be used.

Good luck.

Ron Mowrey

• 6 months later...

Peter,

I know this is a late answer, but I was curious about this a couple of years ago. The JOBO reel for 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 sheet film is #2518. It has been discontinued and is impossible to find (I tried and tried). However, there is good news...JOBO told me that the 2518 reel is just a 2509n reel that has some plastic shaved off the end of the inner spool so the ends will fit closer together. The ends are glued together, aligning the feeding slots together. There never was a loading device, as the film is small enough to load easily. The JOBO rep. suggested model airplane glue, but you may want to assure it is chemical resistant. I bought an extra 2509n reel to modify but haven't gotten around to it yet.

JP Mose