Voltage output of a Flash "Popular 38TG"--under 6 volts?

catcher

I just recently got an older Popular 38TG flash as part of a camera

system. I use it with my older model Canon mechanical Camera. But I

was wondering if I could use it on my Canon Digital camera. My

understanding is that the voltage output would need to be under 6

volts so as not to fry the digital camera. Does anyone happen to

know the voltage of this flash? I don't have a voltmeter to test

it. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the web site I have seen that has voltages for many flashes (http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html) does not include that one. Another Popular model, the 606, is in the 70 volt range. There's a board where you can post your question, though. Or you can get a cheap digital multimeter at many hardware stores for under 20 bucks (occasionally even under 10) these days. Awfully handy thing to have around anyway, and then you'll know for sure.

It wouldn't matter to me what anybody else tested their's at. I would insist on testing the one I own. Flash manufacturers often have changes the internal specifications while maintaining the exterior and model numbers. By all means, get a good meter (20,000+ ohms per volt), turn the flash on, and check the voltage between the side and center contacts.

You could probably get someone at a nearby Radio Shack to check it for free. Don't connect it to your camera without someone checking your specific flash.

I bought a digital multimeter, and wanted to see if these numbers sound right to anyone. I have two other flashes, an Achiever and an old Vivitar. The achiever tested at 4-6, the Vivitar at 20+, both of which sound normal from other numbers I've seen. The Popular 38TG, however, came out rather wierd. This flash has a light sensor that actually attaches to the camera's hot shoe, so I tested the light sensor. I had to turn the multimeter way down in order to even get a reading, so that it appears the output is perhaps less than 1 volt. Does that sound like it could be right to anyone? I confess I'm not an electrician, but I think I was using the multimeter correctly, and as I said I got predictable numbers on the other two flashes. Thanks.

I'm not quite sure how this light sensor setup works (what light does it sense, and how does it connect to the flash unit?), but if indeed you measured voltage between the two contacts of the hot shoe that the camera uses to trigger the flash, this should be the voltage the camera's sync contacts see. Just make sure you're getting the right contacts (dedicated flashes have extras), and that the flash is really up and running when you measure. If you take a piece of wire and touch it between the two contacts you measured, it should fire the flash. If it does so, then you measured the right voltage.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this answer isn't too late... I knew I had one of these flashes somewhere, and I've just found it.

The trigger voltage on the one I have (and as someone's pointed out - they can vary), is 150v. That's ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY VOLTS.

I won't be putting this flash anywhere near any electronic cameras, that's for sure!

Hope this helps.

• 7 years later...