Sylvestri Lupe

milton_messenger

I've used one of these for about 2 years now and "won't leave home without it". Excellent piece of kit. It gets in the corners quite well and the tilting feature makes focusing much easier, as you can always "aim" the loupe directly at the lens nodal point and get maximum brightness when using wide angle lenses. The 6x magnification is a little too strong, however, and occasionally causes me to be distracted by Fresnel lines rather than the image. I wish Silvestri would create a 4x version as that would be ideal IMO. The loupe is very compact and fully settable for your particular eye. I recommend the following "modifications" to it. (1) Add some tape to the metal tilting base. This comes in contact with the GG and the tape will prevent any marring or scratching. This should be done with any metal loupe. (2) Once you've set the focus for your particular eye on the GG "frost", place a piece of tape around the focus knob to secure it against the tube to prevent it from turning and requiring re-adjustment. I've used 4 different loupes for GG focusing and this one is far and away the best.

I ended up selling mine and getting the Toyo. The Silvestri is great, but I didn't tape the bottom of mine and it scratched my Linhof Fresnel. Also, the lupe is relatively short--I didn't like being crammed up so close to the GG. The Toyo is longer and comes with a rubber base. I really like it.

I like mine a lot. but use it mostly for 8x10 where there is more room to move around. On my 4x5 I often use a fold out hood and it's too short for that, so I use the Toyo one mentioend - which, for the price, is excellent (the Wista tube is simialr).

But If I had to pick one it would be the sylvestri

Milton,

<p>

I also have this loupe but find it far too short to work with...I much prefer the Toyo loupe.

It certainly does allow more room for movement. The other loupe I like is the Rodenstock

Aspheric 4x. It's longer than the Sylvestri and shorter than the Toyo. It's nice and bright

and won't scratch the heck out of your groundglass.

<p>

Cheers

I own the Silvestri and agree that while it is an excellent loupe and gets you into the

corners it will do you no good with a flip out hood. I have also owned a Toyo loupe

and recommend strongly against it. The optics are just not up to those of many

others.

If you want a long loupe of good quality then get a Horseman or Wista. They are

more expensive than the Toyo but you get what you pay for.