FujiGA645 -how to operate?

joseph_walsh

Having read all the glowing reports on this site and being a very

happy GSW690 shooter I recently (like yesterday) bought a used GA645.

It has no instruction book. Fuji has informed me I can have one for

20 dollars plus 11 dollars S&H. (!) Coupled with the negative

comments about it (the book) on this forum I guess I'll pass.

Thanks to post from Philip GrahamI have successsfully set the

data as I wished. I've figured out how to use and control the three

exposure modes, auto and manual focus operation, ISO setting and +-

compensation. I am using a generic 50mm lens hood that is not

vignetting nor does it seem to interfere with metering/focusing.

Questions: Would the official lens hood offer any advantage?

Does the camera offer any other features of which I'm unaware? And

finally, is it supposed to provide 16 exposures? It's winding through

to the end after 15 shots. It is leaving the space which would be

frame number 1, blank.

I have shot and developed my standard B&W (AGFA APX 100 in 1-50

Rodinal) and, while I haven't printed yet, it looks very nice under an

8X loupe. I will be developing a roll of Provia 100F tomorrow. High

hopes.

The manual focus IS rather "fiddly" as someone pointed out. I don't

care for the fact that you can't lock the AE and AF separately (or can

you?) . Still, I like the way the camera handles and I'm looking

forward to running a lot of film through it. Thanks to all for past

guidance.

"Other features" in addition to what, Joseph? My memories of my GA645 are getting a bit hazy but I'll try to remember - though I just used it in a very simple way, nearly always with manual focus (infuriatingly fiddly!) and manual exposure, preferring the readings from a Minolta Spot-F to the Fuji's auto system...

When I traded it in, I inadvertently retained the rather minimal rubber hood - if you were in the UK I'd happily post it to you gratis, but if the one you're using works, don't worry about it.

Re the 16 exposures, I suspect a fault - mine gave 16, which was a pleasant (if minor) bonus compared with Mamiya and Bronica 645 cameras, both of which I've owned prior to moving to 6x7.I wonder if you're winding on the film past the printed index on the backing paper, when loading?

The instruction booklet for the GA645 is not the clearest of manuals but it does contain a lot of information in its 30+ pages. A number of the minor functions of this camera are not at all obvious until the manual is carefully scrutinised.

The older models of this camera would only give 15 exposures on a roll of 120 film, whereas the newer models give 16.

Fuji do not guarantee that other brands of lens hood will not interfere with light entering the autofocus window but if you are not having problems then there would probably be little benefit in getting the official lens hood. One thing Fuji do recommend is that when shooting with the camera held vertically, the camera grip is on the bottom otherwise the shadow of the lens cap could fall on the autofocus window causing a focusing error.

It is possible to look the AE and AF separately although it is rather fiddly.

- Press the shutter release halfway to focus on your subject.

- Press and keep pressing the Manual Focus button with one of the fingers of your left hand. This locks the AF until the button is released. (To show it is locked, the distance measurement in the viewfinder flashes.)

- Release the shutter release button and move the camera to obtain the required exposure.

- Pressing the shutter release halfway locks in this value.

- Continue holding the shutter release button halfway while you compose your shot and then press the shutter release button fully to release the shutter.

"What other features?" Well, Anthony, features other than those I ennumerated: MF,AF,P,AP,M,Self-Timer, +-,ISO set. I've not wound past the arrow. Since the Fuji has a motorized film advance I've not wound at all.

...Dr. Graham, thanks for the AE/AF seminar. Sounds like I need to bite the bullet and send Fuji the 31 dollars for the instruction book. (rats!)

...I don't consider the 15 vs. 16 exposures per roll a minor point. If one shoots chrome the cost per frame for film and processing is higher---higher to the point where the price difference between a 645 and a 645i (about $150) is erased after, what, 200 rolls? Certainly, 200 rolls is a bunch but if you keep and really use the camera for 10 years....Heck, I've had the Fuji GSW690 for only five months and I've already put 40 rolls through it (admittedly, only 8 exposures per roll) Had I known about this difference I think I would have spent the extra $150 and also enjoyed the other (seemingly minor) advantages of the later model. Anyway...thanks Andrew and Philip for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Yes Joseph you do need the book, because from your last posting it looks as if you don't know how to load the camera. According to Fuji you need to wind on until the arrow on the film reaches the red dot under the first spool. You do this using the motor controled by the wheel on top of the camera.

Don't get too excited though I also only get 15 exposures and like you find it irritating along with Fuji's habit of charging rather a lot for the little extras like lens hoods, cases and instruction manuals.

I find the autofocus very unreliable on landscapes and seascapes and set it manually mostly. Inconvenient and I would pay a lot for a fully manual version of this camera.

There are two Fuji publications for the GA645: the 'Owner's Manual' and the 'GA645 Professional Guidebook'. The Guidebook contains: Operating Instructions, Special Options, Shooting Guide, Technology Descriptions and a Q&A page. I find the 'Owners Manual' a bit of a pain to deal with and the 'Guidebook' much easier to navigate plus it has additional useful information. I managed to obtain both of these publications gratis from Fuji Canada (1-905-890-6611). They also sent me a free 'Owner's Manual' for the Fuji GS645 I was evaluating.

• 1 year later...