F100

sam_smith7

I got my first F100 about three weeks ago after working for about a month with an N90s (I still have it, too). IMHO the F100 is a wonderful camera--the build is superior to the N90s and it just fits the hand better. The autofocus is quicker and quieter than the N90s and the selectable focus points are one of the really outstanding features, along with the high point finder (I wear glasses). If a person is a pro I suppose an F5 might be a better choice but I think even for an advanced amateur the F5 is overkill unless you just need to get some additional money out of your bank account.

I'm one of those people who swore they would never go to af, now I can't see myself going back to MF.

The N90s convinced me af was the way to go and after holding an F100, I had to have one. Traded a Leica M3 for it and have absolutely no regrets. The F100 gives me the same sort of rush as my first brand new FTN back in the early '70s.

I worked 34 years as a newspaper photojournalist and during my last three years we were all digital. I kept my personal F-100's for projects and personal work. I've never regretted not having an F-5 which is a great camera. The F-100 is quiet, fast and dependable with a great autofocus system. While the F-5 has some very good features that the F-100 doesn't have, I didn't want the extra size and weight of the F-5. The F-100 is every bit as professional as the F-5 but in a different package.

F100 is everything I need in a camera, solid, incredible AF, and works great with the Nikon flash system. It also works with the older AI and AIS lenses, which are now a bargin. I love it for sports pictures of my kids with the 80-200 2.8, great combo.

I will also be reporting Wayne to Leica forum ;)

When I first migrated to AF, the F100 was what I wanted. But cost was an issue so I got the F80 instead. Only recently did I have the chance to move up on the F100.

Truly a joy to use: very fast AF, sturdy build, Ais lenses compatibility. And the eye relief is really wonderful - realised how much I have missed from using the FM series of cameras.

Sorry to hog your question.

Is it worthwile to upgrade my FE2 to a F100 or a F3?

My local shop has them used.

The only thing I don't like about the FE2 is that since I wear glasses I really have to push my eye against the finder.

I like the 1/250 flash sync of the FE2.

All my lenses are Ai or Ai'd.

Thanks

Robert

Rob, if that's the only thing you don't like about your FE2, have you tried dioptre correction lenses? I use a -2 on my FM3A and use the built-in one on the F100 so I don't wear glasses when I shoot.

The F100 does have a very nice eye relief.

For a while back in the 1980's I thought the FE2 was the best camera I would ever need for the rest of my life until the N8008 came along, and then it was the F4, F5 .... Some people may indeed prefer the FE2 over the F100, but if you do try the F100, you might find other aspects of the FE2 that you no longer like. That is something only you can decide for yourself. After I started using the F5, I couldn't use the F4 any more.

My F100 survived being driven over by a car with czech people in it. The battery compartment bent a bit, but otherwise it was fine. The bracketing is not very easy & nikon don't make a split focusing screen but otherwise it rocks.