Are Canon EOS cameras attractive?

r._j.

I'm kind of 'old school' in my camera tastes. I have always preferred

box-y cameras (such as the Nikon FM-2 or any of the Olympus OM

bodies) compared to the new ergonomic style seen in cameras like the

Canon T90 or EOS-1v. Am I the only one?

I can't say you're the only one, but I would hazard a guess that you are one of a few. I really prefer the newer ergonomic styles because they are just that - ergonomic. They fit so perfectly in your hand and they feel like an extension of your body.

They do, however, call attention to themselves. I guess that's why the simple Leica-style design will always be superior in street shooting.

As a quick response to you last question:

You are far from the only one, so don't be afraid:)

I have used the Canon EOS-1 cameras quite a lot. I have owned EOS-1, EOS-1N and EOS-1Nrs. The best one of these is the EOS-1N. NRS has the magnificent "pellicle" mirror, but hardly defendable in normal fotography due to its 2/3 stop disadvantage. Great for News/Journalism though!

Thinking of buying one?

If you like the old school stuff, you can still get 'em new. Wonderful but brick-like cameras like the Nikon FM3A, Minolta X-370, Contax Aria, Bessaflex, Bessa-R, Leica MP, et al., are still currently in production. I added a handgrip to my FM3A as to avoid dropping that brick on my foot.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

What is this, the Leica forum?

The form factor pioneered by the T90 and still used today in many EOS cameras is a

landmark design. It is simple, functional, keeps excess buttons away, and fits well in

the hand. German designer Luigi Colani designed it to be ergonomic and natural,

rather than the contortionists nightmare that many more traditional cameras end up

being. For some reason I always thought that having the shutter speed dial on top

(and perpendicular to the natural plane of motion for a finger) was an ergonomic

disaster - the only older camera that had a shutter speed control I really LIKED was

the Olympus OM. Additionally, I find cameras with pointy corners to be a pain.

LITERALLY.

One really can't beat the current Canon system for ergonomics in my opinion. One

dial for shutter speed, one for aperture, buttons that can be remapped to functions I

use rather than factory defaults (which aren't useful for all users), all add up for an

almost transparent camera experience. I don't really think about my EOS camera

when I am using it - I think THROUGH it.

The only thing I don't like about my IIe is that it is chrome. There was allegedly a black one available in Japan but it never made it here to the USA. I, too, miss my OM-1 and OM-4. While the IIe is what I use and will continue to use until it becomes unuseable, I'm looking for an OM-1. But I don't like used cameras so I'm thnking of the Olympus (OM?) 3000. I think that's the name. Totally manual with an electric meter. Sorta like the OM-1. The OM-1 thing is more emotional -- I just want one, and it has to be black.....

My 650 is very attractive. My neighbors Nikon F4 is hitting on her all the time :D

-=-

Seriously - I use to prefer the older style, but I've come to really like the grip on the EOS 650 - it makes it easy to carry (I never use a neck strap - well, I do - but wrapped around my wrist, not my neck)

It's easy to carry it from one place to another with that handle thing.

R. J. (aka Old School), I had the boxy AE-1, AE-1P & A-1 before switching to a pair of EOS 10s. I preferred the match needle in the viewfinder of the AE-1 and I miss the click stops of the on lens Av ring - The 10s feels better in my hands though. <p>

The T90 was the prototype for the EOS line design.<br>

Have you seen how Canon designed the T90?<br>

<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/design/kikaku/t90/index.html">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/design/kikaku/t90/index.html</a> <p> --

Regarding the comment that the Leica R8 is "ugly" - i used to think so, as well. I

remember meeting a PJ who used them. I took one look and knew then and there that

that was one camera i'd never buy.

When i looked to get out of rangefinders and back to SLRs, i still liked Leica glass, so i

had to consider the R8. The more i looked at it, the more i liked it. I now have one

and think it's beautiful. Go figure. And, i'm not really one for 'modern' camera

designs. I've always prefered the more conventional, solid looks of Nikons like the

F3-F5, and i think the Contaxes are always beautiful. But, years ago, when i had to

choose an AF 35mm system, i bought into Canon because of the lenses. I still favour

Canon for AF cameras, but i still don't 'love' the aesthetics. I prefer a more retro/boxy

design aesthetic, in general, which is why i like so much my hasselblad and Rolleiflex.

I don't think the Canons are ugly, but i'd rather have a 'squarer' profile, with an actual,

thick, knobby shutter speed dial....

BTW, though - "prettiest" current production camera? Leica MP, chrome. Several

species away from a 1D-MkII.