I am planing a photo trip to Homer Alaska specifically for shooting

Eagles and I would appreciate advice from those having personal

experience Photographing Eagles at Homer during March. The Best time

of the Month; Places to stay; Locations; Is the Eagle lady still

there? What was your experience; Weather; light etc, best focal

length ?

Thanks,

Jack Mills

Jack: March is generally a good time to visit Homer. We get a bit more sunshine then, and it is still winter time, so there's generally plenty of snow. Jeanne is still in her trailer at the campground on the Spit. Weather here is highly variable. March can be our most stormy month, with heavy snowfall likely; it could also be clear and cold. There are a number of places to stay. Check out: http://www.xyz.net/~artntype/guide.htm for a guide of the area.

Jack, wait till June. You can still photograph eagles but also take a day flight over to Katami and add some bear shots. Lands End is a great place to stay. The folks at Bald Mountain Air in Homer are true professionals with beautiful and well maintained DeHaviland floatplanes for the flight to Katami. You might also try your hand at halibut fishing (300 pounders are not uncommon).

waiting till june makes no sense, for eagles, They are concentrated,on the spit,because they are being fed. They are not being fed in June. If you go during Jan - March, you will probably find concentrations that are unequaled anywhere in the world. If there is a better place to find eagle close ups,and larger concentrations, than Homer, during Jan - March, then I havent heard about it. And yes, I been to Haines several times as well as washington state

Steve, Robert and Randy,

Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience about the Eagles at Homer. I am planing about 5 days of shooting so maybe I can get get a few days of decent weather/light. Right now I have the 3rd and 4th week of march open for the trip, Is there any difference between those weeks as far as Eagle population/migration?

Robert, I do plan a trip back in the late summer for the Bears and now I will include a quick trip by Homer again for another shot at the Resident eagles. once Again, Thank you for your help.

Jack, I would prefer the earlier week. I think the light can be better the closer feeding time is to sunrise. It has been my experince, that by the end of March, the sun is coming up hours before feeding time. Although, if you have cloudy weather, or want to focus on flight shots, the extra sun maybe valuable.

<br><br>

I would suggest you read the previous posts on this subject, particularly <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000eWe&topic_id=34&topic=Nature%20Photography">Tom Walker's</A> comments about helping the "Eagle Lady". I might add, Jean Keanne, the "Eagle Lady" has a small message box on the fence in front of her place, and it is a perfect size to accept a personal check , or a cash donation, to help with her efforts. She usually responds with a very appreciative thank you card. I think it is important that we as photographers give something back, when we can, to the people and animals that give us so much.

<br><br>

I hope you enjoy Alaska!