80a/b/c filter vs tungsten film

jscoles

I really like night cityscapes that have the added blue cast that

comes from using tungsten-balanced film. Is it possible to get

(nearly) the same effect from an 80a, 80b, or 80c filter? It makes

more sense to me to get the filter so the rest of the roll won't all

be bluish where I don't want it to.

I used to use an 85B filter on type A or B film when using it in daylight situations, and then removing it for nighttime or flashbulb illuminated photos. You lose between 1/3 and 2/3 stops of light compared to the same speed daylight film. If you are you thinking of using daylight balanced film with an 80 series filter as required, you will be giving up 1 1/2 to 2 stops of light with possible reciprocity failure problems in some situations. Still, it may give that which you want.

The 80A filter converts photoflood movie lights (3400K) to daylight. The 80B is designed for 3200K studio lights. 80C converts clear flash bulbs which were about 3800K. Normal tungsten bulbs used for home lighting range from about 2800K to 2900K depending on wattage, with 15 to 40 watt bulbs being even lower(warmer). K is an abreviation for degrees Kelvin.

• 2 years later...

"Are the 80a, 80b, and 80c filters the same, except for the "intensity" of their effect, c being strongest?"

this is an old thread, but I am adding this for the record. The 80 series filters vary in intensity backwards from other filters, so the strongest effect is with the 80A and least with 80C. I'd suggest a 80B as a good compromise. Try using it late evenings to enhance the twilight sky or where you might want an additional "blueing".

AJ