peder_mansson

As a potential LF photographer, I envisage using rollfilm rather than

sheetfilm. This leads me to the 6x9 size. I understand that the

Ebonys allow you to focus on the GG, then swing the GG and mount the

RFH, which seems much easier than the traditional replacement

procedure. I realize that one camera won´t suit all needs, so I´ll

start with the landscape application, where I beleive the Ebony RSW

is too limited in movements, and the 45SU somewhat heavy. Both could

be used with the RFHs via reducing backs? or some other means.

Are there any other photographers with similar ideas as I have at

this early, evaluative stage???

Some RFHs can be used without removing the GG. I know that Sinar makes (made?) one. Calumet also sells a Cambo model (isn't that one of Calumet's brands?).

I found that the GG on a Sinar F is extremely easy to remove. I'm thinking about buying a 69 RFH for mine.

If you're shooting 2x3, you might consider a Galvin. It's small, light and the groundglass assembly is designed such that most rollfilm backs (i.e., Graflex, Horseman, and Mamiya RB) will slide underneath. Galvin also made a 4x5 version but they're fairly rare and hard to find these days.

If you're shooting 2x3 but want to leave your options open by using a 4x5 camera instead of a 2x3 camera, there are several rollfilm backs that have adapter plates which allow them to be used with a 4x5 ... Toyo, Horseman and Calumet are the first ones that come to mind but there are many others. Jim Galvin can also make adapter plates (and even a replacement back) for those rollfilm backs that don't have them available.

Peder, I've only been in LF for about a year and stated with roll film. I use a Panfield camera (full front movements-limited on the back but I've seldom missed them) fitted with a Sinar Norma back. It takes any Graflok type film holders and you can insert the holders without removing the GG. A piece of cake to use, as well.

Mike

You may be better looking at a 5x4 camera that will accept a 6x9 roll film back - a purpose designed 6x9 camera is in my opinion too restrictive! However, only the 6x9 Ebony comes fitted with the swing back ground glass, other (5x4) Ebony cameras use the International back. Consider the Ebony SW45 with a Horseman 6x9 roll film back or even a 6x12 roll film back. The standard camera can utilise these roll film backs as it is fitted with graflock tabs/international back (you will not need to buy an adapter/reducing back).

If you are doing landscape with a 2x3 RFH on a 4x5 camera you probably want to be carefull to get one that works conveniently with very short lenses. Folding field cameras are often not so convenient with lenses below 90mm. The Ebony non-folders would be good choices for that reason. Two things though. One, it's VERY easy to remove and replace the GG on a graphloc back (two seconds maybe.) Two, if you are worried about the inconvenience of sheet film, consider Fuji quickloads. Very convenient and reliable. Good luck and welcome to LF.

FWIW, I use Adapt-A-Roll 620s, which slip in like a sheet film holder, and a Graflex RH-8 on 2x3 Graphics. The RH-8 replaces the focusing panel.

I normally shoot with the tripod and, when used, focusing rail locked up as tight as possible. Both styles of holder make me a little uncomfortable about the risk of shifting the point of aim when inserting or attaching the holder. So I'm careful and cautious when inserting/attaching. The only times I have problems is when shooting flowers on the kitchen table. The !@# tripod slides on the floor.

Peder, as a practical matter I don't think it makes much difference which style of holder or holder attachment you use. Just make sure your tripod's controls are tight and that it can't slide before you insert/attach the roll holder. And then be careful and, yes, gentle.

Cheers,

Dan

My Ebony 23S is great. If you're shooting primarily 6x9 then this camera is almost

perfect. As other posters have mentioned, a 4x5 with a rollfilm back is much more

versatile. You can also get 6x12 backs and shoot sheet film when desired. In

retrospect, this is the way I probably should have gone.

That being said, for 6x9 formats the Ebony 23S excels. It is extremely compact. I

have mine in a LowePro Orion AW WAISTPACK. Not only does the waistpack fit my

camera with mounted lens. I have room for and carry, a Horseman rollfilm holder, 2

lenses on boards, Horseman angle viewer, filters, loupe, lens cleaning accessories

and more. It is an exceedingly light and compact system.

If you're sure you don't want any larger formats then I will highly recommend this

camera. There are benefits to using 6x9. Rollfilm is probably the biggest plus. No

loading film holders in the dark or expensive readyloads and processing. You also

can use the finest large format lenses and the best part of the image circle. Size and

weight are also a great benefit.

4x5 has great benefits as well. It's much easier to do N+/- processing with sheet

film. You can shoot other formats (6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 4x5). You can print huge prints.

Focusing is a bit easier with the large image area. With 6x9 you have to pay attention

to very small details since the image area is so much smaller. Much more to choose

from in camera selection.