Combat M2

robert_vanlane

Why do we care? Some aspects of this forum are beginning to remind me of hot rod magazines. If somebody started making custom magnesium lens hoods there are people here who would join the chorus of "ooohs" and "aaaaahs", want to know how much and where to buy one. Should they be natural brushed magnesium, black crackle to match the custom paint, or perhaps also available in mottled red anodizing to go with Cameraleather's lizard skins?

Maybe he used Krazy Glue to mount the protector? No need to worry about strength if all you'll ever do is fondle the camera with lint free gloves on your hands. Combat? Not likely!

No not photoshop.

From the article it looks like he attached the grips to a second baseplate. And then it dawned on me that the top part could not be attached because the bottom has to be removed for changing film. So it looks like he used rubber on the top part to cushion against the body.

The article also shows how he took it apart and painted it.

The irony here is that with all the concern for flare and bokeh, there is definite need for lens hood s that shield out all the light not required for making the image. Leica has made stabs at this problem but has not been consistent. A mask of the proper shape, in the rear of the hood just ahead of the filter flange would be more effective than all the round lens hoods that do not effectively shield stray light from a rectangular image plane. Seems like an opportunity for some enterprising producer of aftermarket accessories to jump in where the lens manufacturers have failed .

I just don't know why this needs to be a combat. If you like to surround your Leica with lots flowers or make it 2-tons heavy with metal protection pieces, go for it. But if you enjoy Leica for its light weight and small size, then don't.

For those who are into hot rod street cars, you can't convince them not to chrome everything including their windshields. go for it and cover the front view before you drive. or put an expensively chromed lock on your wheel before you start the engine. make surre you then hit the gas panel really hard for as long as you can.

But for me, I strip down everything I can to make my Leica as light as possible.

"Why do we care?"

<p>

Al, I think you meant to type, "Why do <i>I</i> care?" Speaking in the first person plural sounds pompous, unless you're the King or Queen of something.

<p>

Who knows, maybe someone on the forum is looking for an M with styling to match the 'Roo bars on his Hummer. :-)

I have this journal (or "mook"). The protectors were welded to the

bottom plate and not to the body (thank heavens).

I like the spatter black finish but the "combat" protectors are a

little silly. No journalist who actually went into battles with an

M2 used anything like that. The "protectors" only get in the way and

do not really protect anything.

Or, what photographer would go into modern combat with a Leica at all? Mabie an R8.

MOST modern war photojournalists use digital and have become movie makers with

their 10 frames per second, terrified that they'll miss the moment. It's an attraction too

hard to avoid considering how far they've travelled and what's at stake.

Much of the recent Gulf war and Afghanistan coverage would have looked wonderful

shot with an M6 and Tri-X. But few if any took the chance of packing film when on

assignment.

I say this knowing several war photographers.

>>>>Much of the recent Gulf war and Afghanistan coverage would have looked wonderful shot with an M6 and Tri-X. But few if any took the

chance of packing film when on assignment. I say this knowing several war photographers.<<<<

Regarding photo coverage of the war somebody (no idea who) recently said, "Never have I seen so many pictures with so little information."

regarding hotrods I was reading last night that Jay Leno has a hotrod with a 1800 cubic inch engine. Apparently it's out of a tank. As they say, "No substitute for cubic inches".