Adding an used EOS 3 body - what should I look for?

patricks

I currently own/use a 10D w/ some lenses, but I would like to add an

used EOS 3 to have a back-up body to shoot film, better viewfinder

etc. I was thinking of the Elan 7, but it just feels to flimsy and

the viewfinder is not close to the EOS 3.

What should I look out for? Is there any cut-off serial number where

they made upgrades? What are the weak spots?

Cheers,

Buy a cheap Rebel and don't worry about it. Face it Patrick, it's not a Leica, the camera will only get used for wide angle shots. How often have you needed to actually shoot film with the 10D?

In the last 6 months, once I wished for a film body, it was outdoors with a nice sunset.

Gerry

In the time it took me to log in, Gerry had said it for me!

I second what he has said. I bought a used Elan 7 as backup to 10D, one roll through it in 3 months. As Gerry said, all wide angles.

Given the use the backup won't get and the fact it will live in your bag most of the time is durability really an issue?

More pragmatically, the benefits of the two bodies sharing exposure and AF systems might be more significant in switching between the two.

If you still own another film camera, is this getting much use?

I owned an EOS3 for many years and I am not aware of upgrades :|

IN any case, if you are SURE you'll want to shoot film go for the EOS3 - I disagree with the others since if you are going to take the time to shoot film you might as well do it with a GREAT camera. And the EOS3 will give you options NOT available on the 10D, which you will greatly appreciate and use: the AF system, the metering, multi-spot, etc... You can buy a used one in good shape from around $425.00. I sold mine for $600.00 but, it was in absolutely like new (10+) condition with all the original supplies.

I had an eos 3 and an elan 7 when I purchased my 10D. I sold my 7 asap, and havent used the 3 once. But, if I am going to shoot in questionable situations (mist, rain, etc.) I will use the 3. Plus, it feels like a tank. If money isnt an issue, buy the 3. If it is an issue like most people, buy the 7. The rebel just wouldnt cut it for me. Not that my skills are above a Rebel (they certainly are not), but I have large hands and it is too akward feeling for me. Personally speaking, of course. Good luck. AJM

The EOS 3 is a great camera, but I sold mine to finance part of a 10D and have not looked back. My film cameras just sit. However, if you really want one, look for one that is excellent or better with light use because there are plenty for sale and it is definitely a buyers market. If you look and bargain you can probably get a mint EOS 3 and a PB-E2 for what I sold my body for 8 months ago.

hi patrick,

too bad almost nobody has actually addressed your question. when the

camera was first introduced, the metering on some early models was off by

about 2/3 stop. (i'm not sure if the meter under- or overexposed.) some

people sent their bodies for recalibration; many dialed in compensation or re-

rated their film. later models were adequately calibrated from the factory.

Arthur Morris has some info on his site, birdsasart.com. look in FAQ's and

bulletin archives for info on the EOS 3.

in terms of serial numbers, i have no specifics. all I know is that I got mine

used, SN2408620. on the day i got it, spot meter readings matched exactly

those of the N90s it was replacing. i decided to call it good and haven't looked

back.

good luck!

-brad

Patrick,

If you decide to go for the EOS 3, I have a refurbished (by Canon) camera I bought from B&H in August, 2003 and have only put three rolls through. Let me know if you're interested as I can't justify keeping it because I'm not putting it to use (I have an Elan 7 that I'm much more comfortable with, even if it is more flimsy).

Russ

I also currently own a 10D. I kept my old EOS 3 as a backup when I bought a D60

prior to that. I haven't touched the EOS 3 in well over a year. It just collects dust. I've

shot over 10,000 frames with the 10D in that time. I bought a 15mm fisheye to cover

my really wide angle needs, which pretty much eliminated any need for a film body

for me.

If you really feel you must have a backup body, I also recommend the Elan 7. In most

ways, including the autofocus, it operates almost identically to the 10D. You will

notice very little difference switching between the two. The EOS 3 is more different,

and you'll have a harder time switching back and forth. I found it especially jarring

going from the 45 point autofocus to the 7 point on the 10D (it was even worse on

the D60). That is the one feature I miss most.

Thanks for all the responses.

I do agree that Elan7 is an adequate camera, however, it you put it side-by-side to a EOS3, the viewfinder of the latter is so much larger and brighter.

My plan is to use the film body for black & white, wide angle and also travel. Let's face it, when on vacation it is many times easier to throw in a couple of rolls for development and give aways some prints to family and friends, rather than having to download and sharpen/tweak the output from the 10D.

7 or 45 pts AF system really doesn't matter to me since I normally just set it to center-point and take if from there - I guess old habits die hard.

If one can land a good condition EOS3 for under $500 it feels like decent deal vs. paying $250 for a used Elan7.

Lastly, when I inspected a EOS3 at the store the other day I was suprised how loud it was! One can definitely feel that this product was developed 6-7 yrs ago. My favorite SLR body will always be the Nikon F100, but that companies digital strategy and lack of innovation is a totally dirrent story...